Turn off VC screen saver

Post by Ted Llewelly » Wed, 19 Feb 1997 04:00:00

I am trying to turn off the Virtual Console screen saver.  You
know, there are all these cool screen savers in Xfree86 but the
VC goes and blanks the screen...
  Anyway, I have been all through everything I can find on TERM,
termcap, profile, ad nauseum, and let's face it, when it comes to
Linux, I am just another *ing newbie.  Any help, hints, or
kind words would be desperately appreciated.

Thanks,
Ted

Turn off VC screen saver

Post by Peter Ben » Wed, 19 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I am trying to turn off the Virtual Console screen saver.  You
>know, there are all these cool screen savers in Xfree86 but the
>VC goes and blanks the screen...

setterm -blank 0

Peter

Turn off VC screen saver

Post by Ted Llewelly » Thu, 20 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> >I am trying to turn off the Virtual Console screen saver.  You
> >know, there are all these cool screen savers in Xfree86 but the
> >VC goes and blanks the screen...

> setterm -blank 0

> PeterPeter,

  I received that suggestion from Jens (sorry Jens, I responded
with thanks but my mail bounced twice).  I have tried it and the
screen still blanks.  I tried it both before and after starting X
and the screen still blanks.  Could the command be taking effect
in a VC where X is not running?

Thanks,
Ted

Turn off VC screen saver

Post by Peter Ben » Thu, 20 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>> >I am trying to turn off the Virtual Console screen saver.

>> setterm -blank 0

>Peter,
>  I received that suggestion from Jens (sorry Jens, I responded
>with thanks but my mail bounced twice).  I have tried it and the
>screen still blanks.  I tried it both before and after starting X
>and the screen still blanks.  Could the command be taking effect
>in a VC where X is not running?

Right, I think I understand your question now.

You are running X on one of the VCs. You've turned on the X screen
saver, but instead of seeing the pretty X screensaver, the screen goes
completely blank. You've interpreted this as the Virtual Console
screensaver kicking in, hence the original question.

I don't think the VC screensaver has the ability to affect X, and I
certainly have no experience of it doing so. It is more likely that
the configuration of the X server is wrong.

Have a look at the xset command, and in particular, 'xset s noblank'.

Peter

PS Please reply in the newsgroup only. Thanks.

Turn off VC screen saver

Post by Ted Llewelly » Fri, 21 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Peter,
  Well, you hit it this time.  You are right, I am running X with
startx (I'll get around to xdm when I've configured the system
some more).  But there were two screen savers running, one I
started and one that kicked in later.
  I actually ran xset s off, since I'm running a screen saver
from the window manager menu.
  Well, it's been a silly little exercise but an educational one.

Many thanks,
Ted

Quote:> Right, I think I understand your question now.

Post by Chri » Fri, 21 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> > >I am trying to turn off the Virtual Console screen saver.  You
> > >know, there are all these cool screen savers in Xfree86 but the
> > >VC goes and blanks the screen...

> > setterm -blank 0

> > PeterPeter,
>   I received that suggestion from Jens (sorry Jens, I responded
> with thanks but my mail bounced twice).  I have tried it and the
> screen still blanks.  I tried it both before and after starting X
> and the screen still blanks.  Could the command be taking effect
> in a VC where X is not running?

> Thanks,
> Ted

Drop into your /etc/ directory (might be /etc/rc.d/)
and do a grep for 'setterm' - somewhere in one of
those files is the entry 'setterm -blank 15' that
you want to comment out.

--
We come to bury DOS, not to praise it.