primary hard disk failure

Post by MK » Sun, 20 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm running Red Hat Linux 5.0 and Win95 on the same hard drive. Linux has
been running great for months, however a problem I seem to be having is
that when I boot the system it hangs occasionally before the LILO prompt.
As you could imagine, this gets a little frustrating. What's worse, is that
I got an error today on startup - "primary hard disk failure". I can get to
my second primary drive from here, but as my primary drive is not
recognised there is no access to it. Do you think there may be a problem in
the MBR, or could it be the hard disk itself (it's virtually a new drive)?
This is a major disaster, I would appreciate any help I get.

Thank you,

Michael

1. primary hard disk failure

Hi,

I'm running Red Hat Linux 5.0 and Win95 on the same hard drive. Linux has
been running great for months, however a problem I seem to be having is
that when I boot the system it hangs occasionally before the LILO prompt.
As you could imagine, this gets a little frustrating. What's worse, is that
I got an error today on startup - "primary hard disk failure". I can get to
my second primary drive from here, but as my primary drive is not
recognised there is no access to it. Do you think there may be a problem in
the MBR, or could it be the hard disk itself (it's virtually a new drive)?
This is a major disaster, I would appreciate any help I get.

Thank you,

Michael

2. Help with Xserver

3. mod_speling

4. Primary controller or primary disk? please help newbie

5. Utility to print odd/even pages at a time?

6. Primary master hard disk fail

7. Delete everything *except* regex with sed?

8. Q : make 2nd linux hard the primary disk?

9. hard disk (with boot partition) moved from primary master to secondary slave

10. make 2nd linux hard the primary disk?

11. Replacing Hard Disk - Copying Linux system to new Hard Disk ????

12. How to lock the bad sectors on the hard disk without reformatting the hard disk !!??