Newbie Kernel Config Question

Post by Stev » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hello,
I need to know what is the difference between the following commands.
make
make boot
make zImage
make bzImage
I have tried to reconfigure my RH6.0 kernel and I get a kernel that is
4K bytes in size (and of course it doesn't work). These are the commands
I used, make mrproper, make clean, make xconfig, make (all of the
commands listed above), make dep, make modules, make install_modules.
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks Steve

Post by Vilmos Sot » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Hello,
> I need to know what is the difference between the following commands.
> make
> make boot
> make zImage
> make bzImage
> I have tried to reconfigure my RH6.0 kernel and I get a kernel that is
> 4K bytes in size (and of course it doesn't work). These are the
> commands I used, make mrproper, make clean, make xconfig, make (all of
> the commands listed above), make dep, make modules, make
> install_modules. What am I doing wrong?
> Thanks Steve

Hi,

One thing you are doing wrong is posting html.

make is a tool for programmers to manage (mostly) multifile projects. I
don't go into great detail here, but a little info about kernel
compiling:

make mrproper - will clean your /usr/src/linux source tree from files
related to previous compiles such as object, log, config, etc. files.
The name comes from the time when Linus wrote an early version of the
kernel, and at that time there were an ad in the Finnish tv about a Mr.
Proper cleaning whatever. (I hope my memory serves me correctly.)

make clean - will clean also files, but not the same set as mrproper. By
reading /usr/src/linux/README, it is not needed.

make xconfig - it lets you configure your new kernel. make config and
make menuconfig are alternatives.

make something - where something can be zImage, bzImage, zdisk, zlilo,
and who know what else. Do only one. It will compile your kernel. BTW
how did you manage to compile a 4K kernel?

make modules - it will compile those parts of the kernel you selected as
modules. They are not part of the vmlinux/vmlinuz file and thus they are
not resident in the memory all the time.

make modules_install - will install those *.o files which are compiled
as modules into /lib/modules/2.2.10 provided your kernel version (just
compiled) is 2.2.10.

What you are supposed to look for is if your "make something" compiles
an actual kernel. If you have something like "kernel is too big" then
you should configure more stuff as modules. Or, if you do a "make
zImage", try a "make bzImage". That will create a smaller compressed
kernel. Your shiny new kernel is located in
/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot provided you have an x86 machine. The file
you need (unless you used "make zlilo" or "make zdisk") is either
bzImage or zImage. Those are the compressed kernel files and the ones
you should specify on your /etc/lilo.conf as a parameter to "image" or
as a parameter for loadlin.

/usr/src/linux/README tells this story much more beautifully, and
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/* provides invaluable help.

Vilmos

--
Looking for a job in British Columbia.
http://members.home.net/vilmossoti/resume.html

1. Newbie Kernel Config Question

Hi All!

I just bought the Slackware 3.2 distribution of Linux 2.0.29 for my home
computer.  I've installed it on my second hard drive.  I want to
configure Linux eventually to dial up my local ISP and surf with the
Linux version of Netscape. (Why do people climb mountains? :-)
I keep getting these error messages.

Updating modules dependencies for Linux 2.0.29
  Unresolved symbols in module /lib/modules/2.0.29/misc/appletalk.o
  Unresolved symbols in module /lib/modules/2.0.29/misc/ipx.o
  Unresolved symbols in module /lib/modules/2.0.29/block/linear.o
  Unresolved symbols in module /lib/modules/2.0.29/block/raid.o

What am I doing wrong?  I'm saying no to appletalk and ipx support,
 and no to ethernet when I am configuring.

Any help anybody can provide would be appreciated.

2. do these logs show a breakin?

3. Newbie question: existing kernel -> .config?

4. Bootptab for Win95-IP-Lookup

5. kernel 'make config' newbie question

6. BASH Frequently-Asked Questions

7. BSD newbie need help with kernel config

8. Need help with an X-Terminal

9. Kernel compile question. (another newbie question)

10. newbie kernel config....

11. Newbie hardware config. question.

12. Newbie Ether Config Question

13. Newbie question - Dual NIC config?