ftp 421 remote service not available

Post by Stephen.R.Parkinso » Wed, 24 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Dear All,

 Two redhat box's p75 - full install from cdrom of rhcl 3.0.3
                  p120  upgrade from rhcl 2.1 to rh3.0.3

the p120 also has the advantage of the latest rpm's.

i cannot see for the life of me, why i cannot ftp between the two
boxs, root or user comes back with

421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection

/etc   hosts,hosts.allow, hosts.deny all seem correct

ping works both ways with the packet count incrementing on both
machines.

Telnet p120.flat3 from p75 gives

Connection closed by foreign host

I used to be able to ftp from a rh2.1 setup to a slackware 2.3 one,
but not the other way.

Any help would be appreciated.

Stephen Parkinson

ftp 421 remote service not available

Post by Paul Civa » Thu, 09 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>  Two redhat box's p75 - full install from cdrom of rhcl 3.0.3
>                   p120  upgrade from rhcl 2.1 to rh3.0.3
> the p120 also has the advantage of the latest rpm's.

> i cannot see for the life of me, why i cannot ftp between the two
> boxs, root or user comes back with

> 421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection

> /etc   hosts,hosts.allow, hosts.deny all seem correct

Sounds most likely your tcp wrappers incorrectly setup, make sure the
entries in inetd.conf match /etc/hosts.{allow,deny}, the most common
problem is the 'in.' where there should be one, or there's one missing.

Quote:> Telnet p120.flat3 from p75 gives
> Connection closed by foreign host

Looks even more likely, by default tcp wrappers log to where mail does,
so try /var/{adm,log,whatever it is for linux}/maillog.

-Paul-

--

London UK ............ play: http://www.xciv.org/

Post by Stephen R Parkinso » Sun, 12 May 1996 04:00:00

> >  Two redhat box's p75 - full install from cdrom of rhcl 3.0.3
> >                   p120  upgrade from rhcl 2.1 to rh3.0.3
> > the p120 also has the advantage of the latest rpm's.

> > i cannot see for the life of me, why i cannot ftp between the two
> > boxs, root or user comes back with

> > 421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection

> > /etc   hosts,hosts.allow, hosts.deny all seem correct

> Sounds most likely your tcp wrappers incorrectly setup, make sure the
> entries in inetd.conf match /etc/hosts.{allow,deny}, the most common
> problem is the 'in.' where there should be one, or there's one missing.

> > Telnet p120.flat3 from p75 gives
> > Connection closed by foreign host

> Looks even more likely, by default tcp wrappers log to where mail does,
> so try /var/{adm,log,whatever it is for linux}/maillog.

> -Paul-

.
many thanks, ivejust discovered :-) netscape does news

oh well it's been a long year ...

yes, it turned out to be the tcp-wrappers rpm was in ned of
the update from redhat.

had you by chance had the same ??

ftp 421 remote service not available

Post by Tom Wheele » Mon, 13 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> many thanks, ivejust discovered :-) netscape does news

... badly.

Just make sure you never look stupid by posting the same article three
times.  Netscape seems to have thateffect on some people :-(

.splitbung
--
* TQ 1.0 * The 'Just So Quotes'.
"No problem is too big it can't be run away from"

ftp 421 remote service not available

Post by Paul Civa » Mon, 13 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> > Sounds most likely your tcp wrappers incorrectly setup, make sure the

> > Looks even more likely, by default tcp wrappers log to where mail does,
> ..
> many thanks, ivejust discovered :-) netscape does news

Netscape does news, yes.  But I prefer to use knews. :)

Quote:> yes, it turned out to be the tcp-wrappers rpm was in ned of
> the update from redhat.

> had you by chance had the same ??

I've used tcp wrappers a lot, so have experienced these problems before.

-Paul-

--

1. A Strange - 421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection - problem for Linux ftp client.

Here is my machine configuration:

I have 3 window server 2003.  Each one hosts a VMWare server, which in
turn contains both window based and linux based virtual machines.

All the window based virtual machines have no problem connecting to
any of the outside world FTP server.  But all the linux based (i386-
redhat-linux-gnu version 2.4.20-8) virtual machines returns the "421
Service not available, remote server has closed connection" error
right after the username is entered.  For instance:

ftp> open wirefreethought.com
Connected to wirefreethought.com (66.199.224.58).
220 (vsFTPd 2.0.1)
Name (wirefreethought.com:root): vince
421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection
Login failed.
No control connection for command: Transport endpoint is not connected

The strange things is, if I try "ping hostname" first, then
immediately follow by "ftp hostname", everything works fine.  Any
other time, the above error occurs.  Everything worked fine before,
until yesterday the problem suddenly occurs.

Any insight will be greatly appreciated!

Best Regards,
Vince

2. Getting Creative VIBRA16XV onboard sound working

3. ftp 421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection

4. debian floppy boot hangup?

5. A Strange problem - 421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection

6. wine ?

7. wuftp: 421 Service not available, remote server has closed

8. Setting a password from a script file

9. FTP: 421 Service not available....

10. FTP error: 421 Service Not Available

11. FTP error ' 421 Service not available'

12. anon ftp:421 Service not available

13. 421 Service not available FTP Error