BIOS32 and SCSI problems

Post by Adam Fairhal » Sun, 12 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Can anyone please help.

In an attempt to get away from the apparent monopoly of Microsoft, I
recently bought a book called "Linux Unleashed" which came with version
2.2.0 of Linux on CD.  I forgave the fact that so far the install
instructions in the book don't tally with what appears on my screen,
but now I'm really stuck.

During the loading of the BOOT disk into the RAM drive which it sets
up, I get the message "BIOS32 estensions not found. Sorry this release
still needs them"  or something like that anyway.

A few lines later I get a message like "0 hosts or SCSI ... ".  Now as
I have a scsi adaptor to which my hard drive is attached, this is a
touch disturbing.  Needless to say I can't run the FDISK program to
create the Linux partition, as it says it can't find the device.

My questions are then:

1. Do I really need the BIOS32 extensions, if so, is this BIOS on my
motherboard or the SCSI card, and where can I get hold of them?

2. If the BIOS32 is not the root of my problems, how do I get the SCSI
adaptor recognised?

Any replies here or via e-mail gratefully received.

|                       Earth (The) - Mostly Harmless                     |

BIOS32 and SCSI problems

Post by Frank D.A. Lue » Mon, 13 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Try http://www-c724.uibk.ac.at/XL or ..../XL.old It is specific to Copaq
DeskPro XL's but it may help. I was able to get a XL 466 accessing its
hard disk however I still haven't got the ethernet connection working - sigh.

BTW - I get the feeling that Matt Welsh's book is a LOT better than
      "Linux Unleashed". All the reviews imply Unleased is a dog
      compared to most other books. Patrick Volkerding (sp?) also
      has a book out. Since he is the "father" of Slackware I would
      expect it to be pretty good. Haven't read it yet though.

Good Luck - Frank

1. SCSI Install problems (No BIOS32)

Help!
        I'm trying to setup Linux on a system in work, and I've been
stumped by one big problem - I keep getting a BIOS32 problem.  I
have actually alot of experience with installing Linux (you know the
story - you get Linux and you single-handedly try to knock 20 points
of the price of Microsoft stock by installing it on every machine
you lay your hands on!!)

Anyway, I'll give you a rundown on what the boot sequence looks like
(this will include all necessary h/w info):

------

Phoenix 80486 ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.00 A09

Dell Embedded Diagnostics Version 1.05

Dell System 4050/XE

   DPT DISK BIOS v001.J8
   Distributed Processing Technology
   (c) Copyright 1990-1992

   Controller:  PM2012B/9X v05B.0
       Drive : 0 (ID0/LUN0) DEC         DSP3105S    1001 x 64 x 32
       Drive : 1 (ID1/LUN0) DEC         DSP3105S    1001 x 64 x 32

<At this point Lilo Boots from the floppy drive.  I'm using the
ASCSI bootdsk from slakware 3.0 (this is kernel version 1.3.18 with SCSI
support for the DPT EISA SCSI card).  Lilo boots, and I load the RAMDISK
image (I have 32Mb of memory).  I then get the following messages:>

PCI_init: NO BIOS32
Registered HBAs:
HBA no. Boardtype: Revis: EATA: Bus: BaseIO: IRQ: DMA: Ch: ID: Pr: QS:
SG: CPL:
scsi0 : PM2012B/9X v05B.0 2.0b  EISA 0x3c88   14  BMST  0   7   Y  64
64   32
eata_pio: No BIOS32 extensions present.  This driver release still
depends on it.
          Skipping scan for PCI HBAs
general protection: 0000
<I then get a stack dump and a load of error codes (if anyone needs
these, I can
post them)>

-------

I can access the drives easily in DOS.  Also, apparently the driver I
want to use
(eata_pio)  will not take any kernel parameters.

Has anyone any experince with this kind of problem?  I'd really like to
get this
machine working (a 486 with 32Mb of RAM, 2Gb SCSI drives and a 2Mb S3
video card -
it should ROCK when I get it going!)

Mail or follow up this message...

C Ya

2. irc

3. SCSI problem: No BIOS32, AIC7xxx host, and interrupt BRKADRINT 0x1

4. console permissions

5. Matrox Mystique ands X.

6. Long filename ( > 14 chars )

7. BIOS32 error when looking at scsi.

8. Terminal settings

9. Adaptec 2840 SCSI card BIOS32 not installed error

10. Linux boot fails w "pci_init: no BIOS32" on NCR 3350 w 53c94 scsi

11. SCSI doesn't work -- BIOS32 error?

12. SCSI and BIOS32 extensions

13. Bios32 problem. Kernal panics with root disk *Help!*