Note: conf.modules more recent that /usr/src/linux*/modules.dep message

Note: conf.modules more recent that /usr/src/linux*/modules.dep message

Post by Stuart Ha » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I get a message that scrolls by repeatedly upon login and logout:

Note: /etc/conf.modules more recent that
/usr/src/linux2-2.7/modules/modules.dep

I hand edited my conf.modules file to add my LM78 modules during
startup, I have run 'make modules' 'make modules_install' 'make dep'
'make clean' and even 'depmod -a' and I am still getting this warning
message.

Any ideas what I should do to get rid of this annoyance?  I must get
approx. 30 of these warning messages during login, and a few more
during logout.

thanks.

----
Stuart Hall
Cheshire, Connecticut, USA

or

Post by Hans Hofk » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>I get a message that scrolls by repeatedly upon login and logout:

>Note: /etc/conf.modules more recent that
>/usr/src/linux2-2.7/modules/modules.dep

On my system, modules.dep is located in /lib/modules/<version-number>
NOT in the source-tree. You probably have something misconfigured?

--
Hans

Post by GC » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> >I get a message that scrolls by repeatedly upon login and logout:

> >Note: /etc/conf.modules more recent that
> >/usr/src/linux2-2.7/modules/modules.dep

"touch /etc/conf.modules" will fix it.

Post by Colin Wats » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>> >I get a message that scrolls by repeatedly upon login and logout:

>> >Note: /etc/conf.modules more recent that
>> >/usr/src/linux2-2.7/modules/modules.dep

>"touch /etc/conf.modules" will fix it.

'touch /usr/src/linux2-2.7/modules/modules.dep', I'd have thought ...

--

Trinity College, Cambridge, and Computer Science       [riva.ucam.org]
"I still remember the way that you laughed / When you pushed me down

Note: conf.modules more recent that /usr/src/linux*/modules.dep message

> >"touch /etc/conf.modules" will fix it.

> 'touch /usr/src/linux2-2.7/modules/modules.dep', I'd have thought ...

Oops, had my reverse in brain.:)
GC

1. conf.modules vs. modules.conf & modules.dep??

Just upgraded my RH6.2 box to kernel 2.2.18 (in conjunction with
applying vpn masq patch).  Now I notice that it complains about
conf.modules, so I renamed this to conf.modules.old and made a copy as
modules.conf.  Now it complains that modules.conf is newer than
modules.dep.  And, in any case, it doesn't seem to load my modules
(specifically 3c509.o for ethernet).

My present workaround is just to manually invoke this module (modprobe
3c509) and restart /etc/rc.d/init.d/network (as well as dhcpd and
named), but I know there's gotta be a "Right Way" of doing this.

What's different between 2.2.18 and my old kernel (2.2.14-5.0) in
terms of handling these files?  And, more importantly, how do I
correct this situation?  Many thanks, in advance.

2. adding ram to PGX24 frame buffer

3. modules.conf more recent than modules.dep

4. it compiles, runs... but where is the multithread ?

5. modules.dep is older than modules.conf

6. Matrox - Old "Ultima Plus 200" Support?

7. 2.2.1 and modules -- modules.dep is empty

8. Mail & FTP Servers

9. Patch?: module-init-tools/modprobe.c - use modules.dep

10. bootup message: Can't open modules.dep ; why?

11. conf.modules & modules.conf

12. Diff b/t conf.modules and modules.conf

13. /usr/src/linux/modules