problem setting up sound card(Diamond Monster 3D II)...

problem setting up sound card(Diamond Monster 3D II)...

Post by TecMaste » Thu, 08 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I am now trying to set up sound on Slackware linux(ver3.5), i think
kernel build 2.0.34....
I have a Diamond Monster 3D II PCI sound card, and can't seem to get it
to work with linux... I have recompiled the kernel probably 8-10 times
tonight trying to fix this(I guess the kernel's the problem)...   Anyone
know what I should do?  This a Plug N' Play card so it doesn't have a
"set" IRQ(am i right?), therefor how do I know what settings(IRQ, DMA,
16-Bit DMA, MPU401 SB I/O, etc) to use? When booting linux, It shows
it's Initializing sound and successful, and I know it's should say more
in between there for it to work...I even try disabling MIDI and MPU401,
still no success...

Please help someone...  Thanks in advance.

problem setting up sound card(Diamond Monster 3D II)...

Post by ninewa.. » Thu, 08 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Although none of them is a sound card, my PCI PnP cards come up just fine
under redhat 5.1
(kernel 2.0.34).  The problem is most likely in the configuration of your
sound driver.

To find out the io ports, irqs, etc. that were assigned to your card during
PCI bus initialization, type:

cat /proc/pci

from a command prompt.  Then, re-run your sound configuration utility and
tell it how to set up the driver.

**** Posted from RemarQ - http://www.remarq.com - Discussions Start Here (tm) ****

problem setting up sound card(Diamond Monster 3D II)...

Post by TecMaste » Thu, 08 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> Okay

> The Diamond Monster 3D II is a 3Dfx Voodoo 2 card

> I assume that you are talking about a Diamond Monster Sound PCI Sound card,
> AFAIK thsi is not currently supported under linux.

> Michael

> > I am now trying to set up sound on Slackware linux(ver3.5), i think
> > kernel build 2.0.34....
> > I have a Diamond Monster 3D II PCI sound card, and can't seem to get it
> > to work with linux... I have recompiled the kernel probably 8-10 times
> > tonight trying to fix this(I guess the kernel's the problem)...   Anyone
> > know what I should do?  This a Plug N' Play card so it doesn't have a
> > "set" IRQ(am i right?), therefor how do I know what settings(IRQ, DMA,
> > 16-Bit DMA, MPU401 SB I/O, etc) to use? When booting linux, It shows
> > it's Initializing sound and successful, and I know it's should say more
> > in between there for it to work...I even try disabling MIDI and MPU401,
> > still no success...

> > Please help someone...  Thanks in advance.

  does anyone know what or if their is a sound configuration utility for Linux
slackware 3.5???
I think this might be part of the problem, I am just compiling the kernel and
restarting... no sound config.

Post by Michael Duk » Fri, 09 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Okay

The Diamond Monster 3D II is a 3Dfx Voodoo 2 card

I assume that you are talking about a Diamond Monster Sound PCI Sound card,
AFAIK thsi is not currently supported under linux.

Michael

Quote:> I am now trying to set up sound on Slackware linux(ver3.5), i think
> kernel build 2.0.34....
> I have a Diamond Monster 3D II PCI sound card, and can't seem to get it
> to work with linux... I have recompiled the kernel probably 8-10 times
> tonight trying to fix this(I guess the kernel's the problem)...   Anyone
> know what I should do?  This a Plug N' Play card so it doesn't have a
> "set" IRQ(am i right?), therefor how do I know what settings(IRQ, DMA,
> 16-Bit DMA, MPU401 SB I/O, etc) to use? When booting linux, It shows
> it's Initializing sound and successful, and I know it's should say more
> in between there for it to work...I even try disabling MIDI and MPU401,
> still no success...

> Please help someone...  Thanks in advance.

1. Linux and Diamond Monster 3d II

Hello,

I have a pentium 166 computer with 48 mb of ram with Windows 98
installed on one partition. I also have a Diamond 3d 2000 video card and
a 3D card (Diamond Monster 3D II with 8 mb). I am planning to install
Linux on another partition of my hdd. The question is: Does Linux
recognize the 3d card or ignore it? If it doesn't recognize it, what
should I do?

Thanks
Luciano

2. wireless problem: high bandwidth but high latency

3. Diamond Monster 3d II

4. Elementary questions

5. Installation Question - Video Card Problem (Diamond Viper 300 & Monster 3d 2000)

6. pc104 modem with linux support

7. Diamond Monster Sound II setup?

8. Constant buzz on gnome startup

9. Diamond Monster 3D card