Help with Kernel error: "Unable to open initial console."

Help with Kernel error: "Unable to open initial console."

Post by peter ols » Sat, 28 Mar 1998 04:00:00

I'm trying to install Linux on my HP Omnibook-600.  I've done the
things suggested on the web page telling how to do this, but now
I've struck an error entirely different from any mentioned there.

Toward the end of the initialization sequence, after all the disk
information has been shown on the boot screen, the computer hangs with
the message: "Unable to open initial console."  This particular
message comes from the file "main.c" in the /usr/src/linux/init
directory.  I've looked at the source code and can't figure out what
it's trying to do or why it's failing.

Peter
--

     P.O. Box 410, Simpsonville, MD 21150-0410 USA, 410-997-8584
   "Engineering is the art of applying a professional knowledge of

1. Kernel 2.5.62 "unable to open initial console"

Apologies of off-topic or screamingly idiotic or newbie :-)

Booting 2.5.62 results in no console.  Looking at syslog shows:

Warning: unable to open initial console

I am not using devfs - /dev/console is there, char major 5, minor 1.

Kernel was built without MDA or framebuffer support, without serial or
parallel console, with CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE 1 and CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE 1.

Problem has been present since at least 2.5.59.

System runs normally if booted with 2.5.24.
-

2. Double click on menu button doesn't close window

3. Error message "unable to open an initial console"

4. Stop Usenet Censorship and Totalitarianism 5001184147

5. "Unable to open an initial console" while trying out new kernel

6. Userland ppp and automode in a router

7. "Unable to open initial console" Error

8. Win95ppp----->LINUXppp------>ISP

9. Serial console and "unable to open an initial console"

10. help: get a "cannot open initial console" on bootup error

11. "Unable to open a initial console" message

12. How to correct "Unable to open an initial console"?

13. NFS root : get "Unable to open initial console"