problem with 3Com 3c900 XL

Post by Allen Downe » Wed, 17 Sep 1997 04:00:00

I posted a related message the other day but I did not get a
reply and I did not see my own message appear, so I am thinking
something has gone horribly wrong.  If not, and this is a repeat,
I apologize.

I am running RedHat 2.0.18 on a Pentium and I have a 3Com
3c900 XL Ethernet card.  Everything works correctly under Win95,
so there is no hardware problem and my network information is
correct.

But under Linux when I run ifconfig to configure eth0, I start
getting the following error message:

IPX: Network number colision 3000
        eth0 802.3 and eth0 802.2

That message appears every five seconds until I shut down eth0
or throw my computer out the window.

So, I have no idea what that message means, and I sure hope
someone here does.  Thanks!

Allen

problem with 3Com 3c900 XL

Post by James Jura » Wed, 17 Sep 1997 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

I believe the 3c900 XL (aka Boomerang, aka Etherlink III XL) requires a
patch for 3c59x.c to work correctly with v2.X kernels.  In the Ethernet
HOWTO, under the 3Com section, there is a link to more information and
the patch at http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/vortex.html .
Hope this helps.

James Juran

> I am running RedHat 2.0.18 on a Pentium and I have a 3Com
> 3c900 XL Ethernet card.  Everything works correctly under Win95,
> so there is no hardware problem and my network information is
> correct.

> But under Linux when I run ifconfig to configure eth0, I start
> getting the following error message:

> IPX: Network number colision 3000
>         eth0 802.3 and eth0 802.2

problem with 3Com 3c900 XL

Post by Allen Downe » Wed, 17 Sep 1997 04:00:00

I forgot to mention that I did install this patch.  Before I did,
the kernel complained about unknown PCI devices; after, it finds
my Ethernet card, but I still have the problem I reported.

Thanks!
Allen

>I believe the 3c900 XL (aka Boomerang, aka Etherlink III XL) requires >a patch for 3c59x.c to work correctly with v2.X kernels.  In the
>Ethernet HOWTO, under the 3Com section, there is a link to more
>information and the patch at http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/vortex.html .

1. Problems w/ 3Com 3c900 XL (PCI)

  Hello,

  I have problems with a PCI ethernet card "Etherlink XL", by
3Com. The chip is 3c900 (Vortex Boomerang).

  I have tried kernels with either built-in support, or module for
this chip. The module (compiled here), 3c59x.o inserts correctly.

  After running /etc/init.d/network, I can ping locally, but I cannot
ping other locations.

  With this same network configuration, and another network card (and
another driver), I manage to use the network.

  I looked for information concerning setup, mostly at

http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/vortex.html,

and also on mailing list archives and at 3com's site (which points
to nasa's site), but did not see anything.

  Am I overlooking something ?  I am not an expert at all on
networking.

  I would be very thankfull if anybody had tips.

  Cheers,

  Etienne

2. CDROM wont eject

3. Linux & 3Com 3C900 Etherlink XL

4. Xwindow interface builder

5. drivers for etherlink III XL 3Com 3C900 card

6. connections die very mysteriously (masquerade problem?)

7. 3com EtherLink XL 3C900-TPO

8. Windows to Linux

9. Driver for 3COM Etherlink XL (3C900-COMBO)?

10. 3com EtherLink XL (3C900) query

11. 3Com EtherLink XL 3C900-COMBO

12. 3COM PCI XL 3C900 Combo

13. 3COM Etherlink XL 3C900