RH 6.1 install hangs!!

Post by Alexander Ehrnroot » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi
I just got RedHat 6.1 and tried to install it but it hung just after all
the packages had been installed, moving the mouse ot hitting a key
caused a message 'post install configuration' to pop up and stay up for
about half an hour until I rebooted, the second time I tried to install
I rebooted after only a couple of minutes. Ideas anyone? P233MMX, ASUS
VX97, 128M, TNT 16M.
TIA
Alex

If you reply please email me as well

RH 6.1 install hangs!!

Post by advisa.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

This same thing happens to me - i've talked to
RedHat support 3 times today.  a look at the
install progress terminal (Ctrl-Alt-F1) says that
anaconda can't find the UTC timecode file (no
matter what i set it to).  Changing the amount of
ram the installer has (mem=xxxM) produces similar
results, but with different files.

SuperMicro motherboard
200MHz PentiumPro
160M RAM
2 IDE HD's
1 CDROM
1 Floppy
1 Network card (3Com)

This is not a complicated machine. : )

I've tried every version of the install process i
can think of (expert, text, updates, no updates)
and always the same result.  The only thing that
changes the result is if i change the amount of
RAM the installer gets to use.

- b.

Quote:> Hi
> I just got RedHat 6.1 and tried to install it

but it hung just after all
Quote:> the packages had been installed, moving the

mouse ot hitting a key
Quote:> caused a message 'post install configuration'

to pop up and stay up for
Quote:> about half an hour until I rebooted, the second

time I tried to install
Quote:> I rebooted after only a couple of minutes.

Ideas anyone? P233MMX, ASUS

Quote:> VX97, 128M, TNT 16M.
> TIA
> Alex

> If you reply please email me as well

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. RH 6.1 Install Hang

I have had a few interesting problems and am looking for ideas.

I have an Athalon 500, 2 HD Win98 on one and trying to put RH 6.1 on the
other, both IDE's about 2Gb each, MB=asus K7M V. 1.07).

I fdisked (DOS version) the 2nd HD and booted from the RH 6.1 CD, went
through the automated KDE WS install and no problems.  When I tried to
mount the win98 drive using /dev/hda1 vfat /mnt/win98 noauto, owner, rw
00 (something along those lines with a few permutations) in fstab the
primary HD (win98) would not mount (not mountable, invalid mount point
etc., Idid have the /mnt/win98 directory in place).  Now, when I tried
to shutdown the system it hung at "unmounting" and I had to  hard boot.
A hard-boot gave me an invalid boot sector error.  So I started again,
fdisk the HD etc.

During the re-install, it hung at the final configuring file spart at
the very end of the process.  I started over again and found the HD
partitions (swap=128Mb, /boot=16Mb and /=1869Mb) were labelled as "not
set".  So I manually partitioned the HD again, went throught the install
and this time it hung at boot up "LI".  I tried yet another re-install
and this time it hung at the final configuration phase again.

I had RH 6.1 working fine when I formatted the HD as FAT32 under Win98
and then re-partitioned but from a clean HD formatted under Disk Druid
it does not work.  I also had the Corel flavour of Debian working fine
and an old RH 5.2 working fine all on the same HD (at different time of
course) so I know it is not the CPU or MB.

Any ideas?

Carl :-)

2. Fatal IO error #54

3. RH 6.1 install hangs

4. Midentd setup

5. RH 6.1 and Mandrake 6.1 Freeze on Install

6. Debian Linux for SUN IPX Sparc mouse problem

7. NFS between RH 6.1 -> 5.1 hangs

8. gcc build: causes sirene suddenly! HELP!

9. RH 6.1 Installation hang on image2.img (Help!!!)

10. NFS between RH 6.1 -> 5.1 hangs

11. RH 6.1 boot floppy hangs when probing for mouse type

12. "make menuconfig" hangs on RH 6.1

13. Red Hat 6.1 Hangs After Install