Another CD-Rom problem (Acer)

Post by Debaise Beno » Sun, 20 Aug 1995 04:00:00

hi
I recently purchased the book 'Linux Unleashed' from Sams publ. I am trying
to install linux from the slackware 2.2 CD included with the book.

I am using an Acer IDE CD drive on a 486.
I mad ethe two boot floppies using idecd, when I boot, the system seems to
detect my CD-Rom drive at /dev/hdb but once I login things are different.
When I use the setup utility everything goes fine until I reach the
installation procedure, there I select 'install from CD-Rom', select '7' for
other IDE, ATYPI drives, but no matter what I enter there (/dev/hdb,
/dev/hd1a etc...) I just get returned to the prompt asking me what type of
CD Drive I'm using.
The weird thing is that by typing 'mount -t iso9660 -o ro /dev/hdb /cdrom'
from the prompt, I have no problem in accessing this CD, but if I attempt to
use pkgtool, it exits as soon as I choose install from CD, or use
/cdrom/slakware as an install path.

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong here?

Thanks

1. USLogic/Acer 4x CD-ROM problem

Hi,

I just installed the Slackware 2.3 distribution yesterday and I'm having
a little trouble with my CD-ROM.  It's a (sort-of-generic) USLogic/Acer
quad-speed.  I have it connected as the secondary (slave) drive on my IDE
hard disk controller (so in DOS it was D:).  I'm using the idecd1 boot
image, which recognizes the drive and mounts it properly.

The problem (I think) is that it's not recognizing a change of discs.  If
I put a new CD in, the directory listing stays the same, and won't
change.  Do I have to manually unmount and remount the CD-ROM?  How do I
do that, if so (I tried, but it complained about /cdrom being not found
in /etc/fstab).  I hope this isn't a FAQ.  If so, my apologies.

Thanks a lot for your help in advance.

Rockin' Jesse Smith                           "Still we know now, we'll
At SUNY Geneseo - where angels fear to tread   never see smoke without fire."

http://www.cs.geneseo.edu/users/students/1997/jds97/

2. Gated has problems with logical interfaces

3. Q: Linux Installation problem, Acer 787E CD-ROM

4. How do you create your own boot disk with a ramdisk image as well??

5. Problem installing Acer CD-ROM 4x

6. Cannot boot from SCSI drive. Help!

7. ACER Cd-rom kernel probe problem!

8. b69 and x.org on Dell Latitude C800 issue - please help!

9. Driver for Acer CD-525E CD-ROM

10. Need help getting Acer CD-525E CD-Rom drive to work

11. Acer CD-525E CD-ROM drivers?

12. Strange CD-ROM Issue (aka CD-ROM Problem)

13. ACER 625 ide CD-Rom Driver?