Printing woes under Caldera OpenLinux 2.3

Printing woes under Caldera OpenLinux 2.3

Post by Caitlyn M. Marti » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi, everyone,

I am having printing problems under Caldera OpenLinux 2.3.  I am trying to
get my Epson Stylus Color 600 (which worked perfectly under Red Hat 5.x/6.0)

going.  At the most basic level, if I type:

cat test.txt > /dev/lp0

My printer will spit out the text file, so it is not a hardware issue.  I
believe it has something to do with lpd configuration.  In any case, the
usual method of adding the printer with COAS was used.  I changed my
printfilter file to the one in the Caldera knowledgebase.  I changed the #
localhost=localhost line in  /etc/lpd.conf to localhost=caitlyn.vnet.net
(the hostname required by my ISP for my fixed IP service).  None of this has

any impact.  If I print I do not get an error message, but nothing prints.

Any suggestions on where to look next would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Caity

Post by Brett I. Holcom » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Go to www.linuxdoc.org and check  out some of the printing how tos.

--
Brett I. Holcomb

Microsoft MVP
AKA Grunt<><
Remove R777 to reply

Quote:> Hi, everyone,

> I am having printing problems under Caldera OpenLinux 2.3.  I am trying to
> get my Epson Stylus Color 600 (which worked perfectly under Red Hat
5.x/6.0)

> going.  At the most basic level, if I type:

> cat test.txt > /dev/lp0

> My printer will spit out the text file, so it is not a hardware issue.  I
> believe it has something to do with lpd configuration.  In any case, the
> usual method of adding the printer with COAS was used.  I changed my
> printfilter file to the one in the Caldera knowledgebase.  I changed the #
> localhost=localhost line in  /etc/lpd.conf to localhost=caitlyn.vnet.net
> (the hostname required by my ISP for my fixed IP service).  None of this
has

> any impact.  If I print I do not get an error message, but nothing prints.

> Any suggestions on where to look next would be greatly appreciated.

> Thanks,
> Caity

Printing woes under Caldera OpenLinux 2.3

Post by Caitlyn M. Marti » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Go to www.linuxdoc.org and check  out some of the printing how tos.

Don't you think I would have done that *before* posting?  Been there, done
that, everything seems to be as it should be and still does not work.

You know, "RTFM" answers are no help whatsoever, especially when one already
has.

-Caity

Printing woes under Caldera OpenLinux 2.3

Post by T Mechan » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

If You find an answer let me know Caitlyn.

1. Caldera Openlinux and 2.3.xx

Hi,
    I am running (Caldera's) OpenLinux 2.3 (kernel version 2.2.10), and I
was wanting to try to upgrade to the 2.3.51 kernel.  I know this kernel
isn't a stable kernel yet, but I would still like to try and run it.  I
unzip the source file and use all the make commands (make xconfig, clean,
bzImage, modules, modules_install).  All this is done without any errors.  I
then configure lilo.  My problem is when I try to boot the new kernel
nothing happens.  I went to Caldera's site and they said to upgrade the
kernel use rpms, only I don't think rpms for 2.3.51 exist.  Is it possible
to upgrade the kernel without rpms?  Thank you for your help.

Rusty Buzhardt

2. firewall IP translations??

3. Newbie: Caldera OpenLinux 2.3 won't install

4. shell logout error !

5. Caldera OpenLinux 2.3 on IBM Thinkpad 755CD?

6. Online Linux Support/User Group

7. Caldera OpenLinux 2.3 RAM requirements?

8. Telnet ports

9. kPPP w/ Caldera OpenLinux 2.3

10. Caldera OpenLinux 2.3 PPP Dial-in Server Set-up HOW-TO

11. Caldera OpenLinux 2.3 and 3Com 3c509b-TPC NIC card question

12. CALDERA OPENLINUX 2.3

13. Unable to install Caldera OpenLinux 2.3