Install on IBM PS/2-35

Post by Malcolm Herrin » Sat, 27 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Tried installing Slackware 2.0 on an IBM PS/2 model 35 (ISA bus and IDE
drive) using 'bare' boot disk and 'color144' root disk. Boot disk loaded
OK but when I changed to the root disk I got a number of "floppy I/O
error" messages and could get no further.

Help! Any clues?

Install on IBM PS/2-35

Post by Zachary R Amsde » Sat, 27 Jan 1996 04:00:00

If your kernel got this far, this is a good sign.  However ...
On this PS/2 model, with an ISA bus, my conjecture is that there is some
hardware peculularity with the bus or floppy controller.  My guess is that
the floppy controller in this system does not respond correctly, locking the
system when linux tries to detect a device change.  I also believe that on
PS/2's, the floppy controller is built into the motherboard.  This means you
won't simply be able to try a new card without seriously messing around with
your computer.
Try recompiling the kernel (or have someone compile a kernel for you) with
three defines, -DDEBUG_T, -DFLOPPY_SANITY_CHECK and -DDCL_DEBUG.  You should
get some interesting messages from the kernel when you swap disks now.  If
this still doesn't work, try using one of the newer kernels (1.3.57) or so.
If it still doesn't work, send me a log of all kernel messages on bootup and
whether the line: VFS: detected device change on device XXX appears after
you insert the root disk.  Oh, BTW a good thing to check first would be to
make sure your root disk isn't bad.

Hope this helps --