linux on 2nd EIDE HDD as primary on 2nd EIDE controller

linux on 2nd EIDE HDD as primary on 2nd EIDE controller

Post by Douglas T. Hayde » Thu, 10 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Hi to All!
  I have a NEC PowerMatev75 w/32MB RAM, and 2 EIDE drives.  They used to be
on the same chain, but when I installed them in this machine I gave each
its own drive controller.  Linux fdisk doesn't see the second hdd, or I
don't know how to tell it the right address.  /dev/hda doesn't work, and
neither does /dev/hdb.  What am I missing?

Thanks in advance!

Doug Hayden

linux on 2nd EIDE HDD as primary on 2nd EIDE controller

Post by Remco Blaakme » Fri, 11 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi to All!
>  I have a NEC PowerMatev75 w/32MB RAM, and 2 EIDE drives.  They used to be
>on the same chain, but when I installed them in this machine I gave each
>its own drive controller.  Linux fdisk doesn't see the second hdd, or I
>don't know how to tell it the right address.  /dev/hda doesn't work, and
>neither does /dev/hdb.  What am I missing?

>Thanks in advance!

>Doug Hayden

First, both of them should be master if they're on their own chain. Then, the
first drive in the second chain is /dev/hdc.

Remco

--
If you can't beat your computer at chess, try kick-boxing

1. How to Install Linux on 2nd EIDE given Existing Primary EIDE w/Win95?

Hey all,

I've installed Linux on my Atari Falcon before (a m68k-based machine),
pretty much by hand, so I have a reasonable understanding of Linux.
However, I've recently purchased a nice DELL Dimension XPS 166s system, and
wish to install Linux on that.  Should be a bit faster.  :)

In any case, I don't want to touch my current Win95 setup on my primary
EIDE drive.  My thought was to get a second EIDE drive devoted expressly to
Linux, and be able to switch booting between Win95 or Linux.  My question
now is, how do I install Linux to allow for me to do this?

Of course I've tried to follow the LILO discussions, and peoples'
experience when using it with Win95, but haven't been able to piece
together a straight answer.  I wanted to buy the Slackware Linux
distribution, and install that way.  I've gathered that it probably uses
LILO as it's boot mechanism.  However, does the Slackware distribution
allow you to:

A) Install Linux on a slaved/secondary EIDE drive?
B) Install LILO on the primary EIDE w/out disrupting an existing Win95
   configuration?
C) Use LILO to point to the secondary EIDE to boot Linux?

Some basic questions, but important ones for me.  Any help is greatly
appreciated!

-Jay Millar

2. print problem

3. 2nd EIDE controller on i430Tx

4. Linux to fbsd nfs

5. EIDE as 2nd controller, 3rd drive need driver driver

6. login banner change for Solaris 2.7?

7. EIDE 2nd Controller, HD Detection CHS params.

8. Aureal soundcard >>>any drivers for this?? Out of business approx 2 yrs ago

9. 2nd Controller EIDE - Large Dr

10. EIDE as 2nd controller with third driver

11. EIDE 2nd Controller, HD Detection CHS params.

12. Linux on 2nd IDE drive on 2nd IDE controller?

13. Can linux boot from 2nd EIDE harddisk ?