net.i freezes Thinkpad 760E

Post by Erik Toubro Nielse » Tue, 03 Dec 1996 04:00:00

I'm trying to install a thinkpad 760E over the network using the net.i
slakware file.

The banner says: "Welcome to the Slackware96 Linux (v 3.1.0)
bootkernel disk." Then after writing "Loading ramdisk....."<newline>
the machine freezes.

I've tried with and with the option floppy=thinkpad and with and
without the 3c589b card in the machine.

The same bootdisk works fine on a desktop pentium machine.

If this is not supposed to work, can anybody say if getting a PCMCIA
scsi card and connecting a scsi CDROM will work then?

I don't know if it matters: I just noticed that booting with bare.i
does not freeze the machine, but it does produce "Warning: Unknown PCI
device (1023:9320) ..."

Any help appreciated.

Erik

The Institute of Applied Computer Science (IFAD)
Forskerparken 10, DK-5230 Odense M, Denmark
Phone:+45 63157131, Fax:+45 65932999, http://www.ifad.dk/

net.i freezes Thinkpad 760E

Post by Paul Caprio » Sat, 07 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I'm trying to install a thinkpad 760E over the network using the net.i
>slakware file.

Using bare.i and the pcmcia root disk, I was able to do an NFS install
of slackeware on my thinkpad 760e.

I did not use the floppy=thinkpad option.

yes, net.i froze my machine too, but it's the wrong choice anyway since
your ethernet device is a pcmcia card.

I also got the "Warning: Unknown PCI device" message.  I don't think
that is something you need to pay attention to.  (But what do I know?)

Hope this helps,
Paul

1. Anybody tried a 760E Thinkpad yet?

Work is getting me one, and I want to partition it up and put Linux on
it in addition to W 95 ( yuck ).  I have been running it just fine at
home on an old 486/25 and it just seems that the display set up will
be the problem.

Any help would be appreciated if there is anything special to do.

Eric

2. which netra

3. 3.1.2F and Thinkpad 760E

4. Is there a Bourne Shell available for NT ?

5. xfree 86 on thinkpad 760e

6. SCO Warns Commercial Linux Users Of Potential 'Legal Liability'

7. Thinkpad 760E w/ Trident Cyber9385

8. File transfer to-from LapTop ?

9. XFree86 on Thinkpad 760E

10. Thinkpad 760E 1024x768 Trident