10101010101010 ... on screen when I boot from /dev/hda

10101010101010 ... on screen when I boot from /dev/hda

Post by spar.. » Tue, 30 Apr 1996 04:00:00

When I boot from the root partition, my screen just scrolls with
a 101010101010101 pattern ... both Red Hat and Slackware.

When I boot from floppy and mount the root partition everything is
hunky-dory.

Facts:
I formatted the partitions using OS/2 Warp Connect FDISK, and set up
Boot Mangler to boot Warp, NT and the (soon-to-be) Linux root partitions.
Copied the CD-ROM to my hpfs D: drive (CM206 is not recognized, even
by Slackware's cm206 boot kernel).

Then make the boot disks, root disks, ramdisks etc.etc.

Follow appropriate distribution's setup procedures religiously.
Set LILO to point to the linux root partition /dev/hda5.
Reboot (whether hot or cold).
Boot Mangler menu comes up, I select the Linux partition.
No L-I-L-O, just 101010101010101010101010 etc.

When I boot from floppy I can successfully boot.
*Initially* I have problems starting X because Linux doesn't
set up XF86Config correctly, but I soon fix this with xf86config.

I suspect as *most likely* some find of problem with the boot
video configuration, but it *could be* something to do with Boot Mangler
(no flames needed).

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Steve

"It would make him physically ill to think of programming in C++"
 - Donald Knuth on Edsgar Dijkstra

10101010101010 ... on screen when I boot from /dev/hda

Post by Ayman Haidar, hai.. » Sun, 05 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>When I boot from the root partition, my screen just scrolls with
>a 101010101010101 pattern ... both Red Hat and Slackware.

>When I boot from floppy and mount the root partition everything is
>hunky-dory.

>Facts:
>I formatted the partitions using OS/2 Warp Connect FDISK, and set up
>Boot Mangler to boot Warp, NT and the (soon-to-be) Linux root partitions.
>Copied the CD-ROM to my hpfs D: drive (CM206 is not recognized, even
>by Slackware's cm206 boot kernel).

>Then make the boot disks, root disks, ramdisks etc.etc.

>Follow appropriate distribution's setup procedures religiously.
>Set LILO to point to the linux root partition /dev/hda5.
>Reboot (whether hot or cold).
>Boot Mangler menu comes up, I select the Linux partition.
>No L-I-L-O, just 101010101010101010101010 etc.

>When I boot from floppy I can successfully boot.
>*Initially* I have problems starting X because Linux doesn't
>set up XF86Config correctly, but I soon fix this with xf86config.

>I suspect as *most likely* some find of problem with the boot
>video configuration, but it *could be* something to do with Boot Mangler
>(no flames needed).

>Any help will be greatly appreciated.

From my little experience with linux, I think the problem is with LILO, it seems f
for some reason it's not installed right..try to install LILO again and see what
happens..in my caseI use a LILO on a floppy disk that I boot from . ( here is another
solution)

good luck
Ayman

10101010101010 ... on screen when I boot from /dev/hda

Post by Bruce Toml » Mon, 06 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>When I boot from the root partition, my screen just scrolls with
>a 101010101010101 pattern ... both Red Hat and Slackware.

LILO does not have correct information for some reason.  If your hard
drives are >1023 cylinders you may need to create /etc/disktab to tell it
your geometry.  Also, you may have problems if vmlinuz is located beyond
cyl 1023 because it has to use BIOS to load the kernel.

FYI, the pattern is an error code "01" repeated indefinitely, and usually
starts "L010101..."

Post by jason a hama » Sat, 11 May 1996 04:00:00

> >When I boot from the root partition, my screen just scrolls with
> >a 101010101010101 pattern ... both Red Hat and Slackware.

> >When I boot from floppy and mount the root partition everything is
> >hunky-dory.

> >Facts:
> >I formatted the partitions using OS/2 Warp Connect FDISK, and set up
> >Boot Mangler to boot Warp, NT and the (soon-to-be) Linux root partitions.
> >Copied the CD-ROM to my hpfs D: drive (CM206 is not recognized, even
> >by Slackware's cm206 boot kernel).

> >Then make the boot disks, root disks, ramdisks etc.etc.

> >Follow appropriate distribution's setup procedures religiously.
> >Set LILO to point to the linux root partition /dev/hda5.
> >Reboot (whether hot or cold).
> >Boot Mangler menu comes up, I select the Linux partition.
> >No L-I-L-O, just 101010101010101010101010 etc.

> >When I boot from floppy I can successfully boot.
> >*Initially* I have problems starting X because Linux doesn't
> >set up XF86Config correctly, but I soon fix this with xf86config.

> >I suspect as *most likely* some find of problem with the boot
> >video configuration, but it *could be* something to do with Boot Mangler
> >(no flames needed).

> >Any help will be greatly appreciated.

> From my little experience with linux, I think the problem is with LILO, it seems f
> for some reason it's not installed right..try to install LILO again and see what
> happens..in my caseI use a LILO on a floppy disk that I boot from . ( here is another
> solution)

> good luck
> Ayman

I read in my Linux book that you can only install LILO as a secondary
boot loader on a primary partition (/dev/hda1 through hda4).  I have DOS
and Linux (Red Hat 2.0) in primary partitions, and Linux swap and OS/2 in
logical partitions, and boot manager works perfectly on my system.

Post by Mark Boste » Sun, 12 May 1996 04:00:00

> > >When I boot from the root partition, my screen just scrolls with
> > >a 101010101010101 pattern ... both Red Hat and Slackware.

I have been using LILO for about 6-8 months and never had that problem until today.
Rebooted using my floppy bootdisk( You did make one of those?) and logged in as root.
Typed lilo and pressed enter. Reinstalled lilo to /dev/hda master boot record.
Shutdown linux and reboot.

Boot:  command prompt, LILO now works fine.

1. Multi boot: Linux [/dev/hda] and NT [/dev/hdb]

I have two IDE hard drives on my computer.  The first IDE (/dev/hda)
harddrive (Master) is used by Linux (RedHat-6.0).  Meanwhile, the slave
(/dev/hdb) drive is used by Windows NT-4.0 Workstation.  What I would like
to do is to setup my computer to do a multi boot using LILO, i.e. Linux on
/dev/hda and NT on /dev/hdb).  Therefore, I am looking for the LILO
configuration file to allow me to do such a setup.

If you have dones such a setup and would like to help, please e-mail me your
lilo.conf file.  Thank you.

--

2. What is the diff command is to create kernel patches ?

3. Lilo on /dev/hda , but /boot on /dev/hdb1

4. Multiple PXE Installation at the same time

5. xdos: how to boot dos from /dev/hda?

6. NAGWare f90 for Linux!

7. Skip Checking /dev/hda upon boot

8. Odd message on console?

9. I need a boot disk to run lilo on /dev/hda

10. Lilo on /dev/hda MBR booting SCSI harddisk : HOW?

11. /dev/hda lost interrupt on first boot?

12. lilo won't boot off /dev/sda but will off hda

13. I did 'dd if=/boot/mbr.b of=/dev/hda' :-(((