Toshiba 440 CDT Notebook

Post by Stephan Schu » Thu, 10 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

our research group got a (used) Toshiba 440 CDT notebook from the
central computing resources group of the university. We promptly
installed SUSE 5.3 on it - it works fine.

However, we did not yet get the manual for the notebook (and kind of
despaired in requesting it again and again). So I had to guess at most
hardware components (and apparently got the important ones
right). There are still two problems I have. First, sound support is
not working. I compiled Soundblaster-16 into the kernel, with default
settings for all the parameters, but do not get any sound (and cat'ing
a file to /dev/sound tells me "no such device", although the file
exists).

Secondly, I'd like to do "suspend to disk" operations. Suspend to
memory works fine (after compiling APM support into the kernel), but
the computer still draws some power in this state. Is there some way
to suspend to disk? We left a small (~64 MB for 48 MB RAM) partition
for this purpose, but I have no idea on how to prepare the partition
and how to change the setting in the BIOS...I don't even now on how to
get into the BIOS.

Thanks,

       Stephan

-------------------------- It can be done! ---------------------------------

Toshiba 440 CDT Notebook

Post by Axel Bold » Sat, 12 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> our research group got a (used) Toshiba 440 CDT notebook from the
> central computing resources group of the university. We promptly
> installed SUSE 5.3 on it - it works fine.

> However, we did not yet get the manual for the notebook (and kind of
> despaired in requesting it again and again). So I had to guess at most
> hardware components (and apparently got the important ones
> right). There are still two problems I have.

Maybe the Linux Laptop page at
http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/welcome.html and
especially the volunteer database there can help.

Good luck,
  Axel

--

 Sponsor free software at the Free Software Bazaar visar.csustan.edu/bazaar/

Toshiba 440 CDT Notebook

Post by Neil Pilgr » Sun, 13 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>Hi,

>our research group got a (used) Toshiba 440 CDT notebook from the
>central computing resources group of the university. We promptly
>installed SUSE 5.3 on it - it works fine.

>However, we did not yet get the manual for the notebook (and kind of
>despaired in requesting it again and again). So I had to guess at most
>hardware components (and apparently got the important ones
>right). There are still two problems I have. First, sound support is
>not working. I compiled Soundblaster-16 into the kernel, with default
>settings for all the parameters, but do not get any sound (and cat'ing
>a file to /dev/sound tells me "no such device", although the file
>exists).

<snip>

I have a 440CDX, and the linux-laptops page mentioned around had specific
information about it. The only thing I can't get working currently is the
PCMCIA. I'm a bit of a newbie to linux, and I guess a laptop is not the
ideal introduction, but I just can't get PCMCIA to work :(

The PCMCIA chipset on the tosh is supposed to be something like ToPIC95,
but in the PCMCIA documentation it says that only two other (something like
i82365 or TCIC-2) chipsets are supported, and neither of these work...

If you get it working *please* tell me how (assuming it has the same
structure to the 440CDX, which would seem reasonable) - I have tried
recompiling the pcmcia sources, etc, etc. I'm using SuSE 5.2 BTW.

Good luck anyhow !
--
Neil

Toshiba 440 CDT Notebook

Post by Stephan Schu » Mon, 14 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>>Hi,

>>our research group got a (used) Toshiba 440 CDT notebook from the
>>central computing resources group of the university. We promptly
>>installed SUSE 5.3 on it - it works fine.

[...]

Quote:>I have a 440CDX, and the linux-laptops page mentioned around had specific
>information about it. The only thing I can't get working currently is the
>PCMCIA. I'm a bit of a newbie to linux, and I guess a laptop is not the
>ideal introduction, but I just can't get PCMCIA to work :(

>The PCMCIA chipset on the tosh is supposed to be something like ToPIC95,
>but in the PCMCIA documentation it says that only two other (something like
>i82365 or TCIC-2) chipsets are supported, and neither of these work...

>If you get it working *please* tell me how (assuming it has the same
>structure to the 440CDX, which would seem reasonable) - I have tried
>recompiling the pcmcia sources, etc, etc. I'm using SuSE 5.2 BTW.

no-name notebook (under SUSE 4.2, had to download and recompile the
sources) and on the new Toshiba 440 CDT under SuSE 5.3 (everything was
included with the distribution). The chipset is i82365-compatible in
both cases, and it works fine with our 3Com ethernet card.

moment (posting from my desktop workstation), and do not remember the
details. It basically involved editing some config files in /etc and
/etc/pcmcia and running SUSEConfig. If you want net support, you do
need to edit the corresponding file in /etc/pcmcia (it does have a
recognizable name...). Normal settings for the network will be ignored
by the driver.

Bye,

     Stephan

-------------------------- It can be done! ---------------------------------

1. x86 Solaris and Toshiba 440 CDT

Hi,

the subject says it all, is the Notebook Toshiba Satellite Pro 440 CDT
supported by x86 Solaris 2.5.1.

I only found

  Toshiba 4800CT                        A, C, D
  Toshiba 4850CT                        A, C, D
  Toshiba 4900CT                        A, C, D
  Toshiba Portege 610CT                 A, C, D
  Toshiba Portege 650CT                 B, E, F, H
  Toshiba Portege 660CDT                B, E, F, H
  Toshiba Satellite Pro 400CDT          A, C, D
  Toshiba Satellite Pro 410CDT          A, B, C, D, E
  Toshiba Satellite Pro 425CDT          A, B, C, D, E, F
  Toshiba Tecra 700CT                   A, B, C, D, E
  Toshiba Tecra 720CDT                  A, B, C, D, E, F, G
  Toshiba Tecra 740CDT

in the Drivers update list for version 10.

Please let me know if somebody has this notebook successfully up and
running ...

Thanks for the support,

Chris

2. NIS+ Rootdomains -> Subdomains

3. Sound on Toshiba 440 CDT

4. Compatibility of Nine Fx Motion Card with Xfree

5. Question: Toshiba 300 CDT Notebook

6. How the command to do full packet redirect

7. Linux on Toshiba Satellite 4000 CDT notebook ?

8. Looking for a sh script to format in col's

9. How to upgrade the video driver for Toshiba 720 CDT notebook?

10. configurung XFree86 display on a Toshiba 430 CDT

11. How can i change a hardrive in a portable toshiba satellite 1730 CDT?

12. Problem! Redhat 6.0 on Toshiba 2590 CDT

13. Toshiba 730/720 CDT (CT65550)