Colour change in nxterm

Post by mbonne » Tue, 13 Jul 1999 04:00:00

For no reason that I can identify, the behaviour of nxterm for
my non-root account has changed.  Whereas man pages used to have
white+bold section headings and underlining for other emphasis,
I now have blue+bold and magenta, respectively.  Consequently,
the pages are harder to read (I use black backgrounds).  I use
the Gnome environment w/ Enlightenment in RedHat 6.0.

Can someone please tell me:

a) What has caused the change to occur?  As the change only seems
to have affected the one account, I'm assuming there is a config
file that was changed off my home directory somewhere...

b) How do I modify/reset this behaviour?

I'm assuming that this has happened as a result of my customising
Gnome... I haven't been playing with anything else really, other
than my modem/ppp setup.  All Gnome changes have been through the
supplied GUI utility.

All help appreciated.  :)

Mark H Bonnet                   The opinions expressed above are
Nortel Networks                 not intended to reflect those of

         remove "_abc" from my address to mail me

Colour change in nxterm

Post by T.E.Dicke » Tue, 13 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> For no reason that I can identify, the behaviour of nxterm for

Is that nxterm or xterm?  (XFree86 xterm has resources that let you
color bold and underlining - see the manpage)

Quote:> my non-root account has changed.  Whereas man pages used to have

--
Thomas E.*ey

http://www.veryComputer.com/

Colour change in nxterm

Post by mbonne » Tue, 13 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> Is that nxterm or xterm?

The command I use is 'nxterm'.  It was used as the default term
in my first RedHat distro (4.x something), and I've just grown
attatched to it.  I cannot comment on the differences (if any)
between 'nxterm' and 'xterm', as I thought the latter was colour-
incapable.

Quote:> (XFree86 xterm has resources that let you
> color bold and underlining - see the manpage)

While I know an "RTFM" when I see one, ;) I was was hoping that
someone might be able to point out where in a typical *RedHat*
setup these settings might be stored, and how they got changed
without me consciously changing them.  I have found in the past
that the way RedHat does things is often different from the file
locations/conventions suggested in man pages.

Thanks for the response, though.  :)

Mark H Bonnet                   The opinions expressed above are
Nortel Networks                 not intended to reflect those of

         remove "_abc" from my address to mail me

Colour change in nxterm

Post by Davor Cengi » Tue, 13 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> For no reason that I can identify, the behaviour of nxterm for
> my non-root account has changed.  Whereas man pages used to have
> white+bold section headings and underlining for other emphasis,
> I now have blue+bold and magenta, respectively.  Consequently,
> the pages are harder to read (I use black backgrounds).  I use
> the Gnome environment w/ Enlightenment in RedHat 6.0.

> Can someone please tell me:

> a) What has caused the change to occur?  As the change only seems
> to have affected the one account, I'm assuming there is a config
> file that was changed off my home directory somewhere...

        check ~/.Xresource and/or .Xdefaults
        .Xresource is the right file for nxterm configuration and it
        should be read during log-in process. if you're booting your
        maschine into level 5 (x-win), .Xresource is not read (for
        some strange reason). that's why i have

# force read of ~/.Xresource
xrdb ~/.Xresource

        in my .xinitrc

        so, check the nxterm setting in .Xresource and edit .xinitrc
        the syntax is self-explanatory

Quote:> b) How do I modify/reset this behaviour?

> I'm assuming that this has happened as a result of my customising
> Gnome... I haven't been playing with anything else really, other
> than my modem/ppp setup.  All Gnome changes have been through the
> supplied GUI utility.

> All help appreciated.  :)

Davor Cengija

===================================
"Please allow 30 days for delivery"

Colour change in nxterm

Post by T.E.Dicke » Wed, 14 Jul 1999 04:00:00

>> Is that nxterm or xterm?
> The command I use is 'nxterm'.  It was used as the default term
> in my first RedHat distro (4.x something), and I've just grown
> attatched to it.  I cannot comment on the differences (if any)
> between 'nxterm' and 'xterm', as I thought the latter was colour-
> incapable.

I have an impression that Redhat 6.0 uses XFree86 xterm rather than nxterm --
but some of the color stuff may overlap, since (a third program) color_xterm
was the source for some of this.  (However, iirc, the people who made the
changes for nxterm didn't bother to update the documentation enough to be
usable).  Anyway, it's possible that the XTerm app-defaults in Redhat 6.0
has the corresponding resources set (and not all nxterm's are compiled to
look for NXterm as an app-default class).

But this is just an educated guess - I'm running Slackware.  (In my current
round of upgrades I'll add a boot for Redhat).

Post by mbonne » Wed, 14 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> I have an impression that Redhat 6.0 uses XFree86 xterm rather than nxterm --

I did a 'diff `which xterm` `which nxterm`', and the result was
that they are identical.  I'm assuming they kept the old name
("nxterm") for compatibility reasons.

Mark H Bonnet                   The opinions expressed above are
Nortel Networks                 not intended to reflect those of

         remove "_abc" from my address to mail me

Colour change in nxterm

Post by mbonne » Wed, 14 Jul 1999 04:00:00

>    check ~/.Xresource and/or .Xdefaults

Thank you, but I am aware of these files.  While I'm sure I could
solve my problem by doing as you suggest, I still won't know why
the behaviour changed in the first place.  There must be
something elsewhere which has affected nxterm's behaviour, and
I'd like to know what it is...  so that I can find out what else
it might impact.

Thanks for the response, though.

Mark H Bonnet                   The opinions expressed above are
Nortel Networks                 not intended to reflect those of

         remove "_abc" from my address to mail me

Colour change in nxterm

Post by T.E.Dicke » Wed, 14 Jul 1999 04:00:00

>> I have an impression that Redhat 6.0 uses XFree86 xterm rather than nxterm --
> I did a 'diff `which xterm` `which nxterm`', and the result was
> that they are identical.  I'm assuming they kept the old name
> ("nxterm") for compatibility reasons.

Then it sounds as if my guess is correct: they plugged in a new app-defaults
file underneath your existing configuration.

XFree86 xterm has a version option (-v), e.g.,

        xterm -v
        XFree86 3.9Pq(107)

so you can verify this.  (The number in parenthesis is my patch number).

--
Thomas E.*ey

http://www.veryComputer.com/

1. changing colors for xterm/nxterm. . .

How can I change the resources for xterm and/or nxterm so that their
colors match the default Linux console colors?  When I try rxvt, the
colors seem to come out right, but I've been getting core dumps when I
try to run `mc.'  Also, if I run
        nxterm -tn xterm-pcolor
I get correct mouse functionality, but the colors are far from what I'd
like.  Thanks much.
--

To reply, remove my opinion about
unwanted e-mail from my address.

2. please help...question about how to get output of two commands simultaneously

3. nxterm scrollbar color

4. UNIX BBS Software FAQ with Answers

5. nxterm default colors

6. sendmail running amok

7. nxterm color resources?

8. Answer summary : Apache - How to enable the PUT method ?

9. How can I get mc running in color under nxterm ?

10. Font and Background Color of nxterm under Fvwmrc96

11. nxterm and highlight color

12. Changing fonts in rxvt, xterm, nxterm

13. Changing font and fontsize in nxterm