RedHat 2.1 install: How to mark bad disk blocks?

RedHat 2.1 install: How to mark bad disk blocks?

Post by Jim Chapm » Wed, 10 Apr 1996 04:00:00

I'm trying to install RedHat 2.1 from the cdrom and discovered my Linux
disk partition (380MB) had many bad blocks on one cylinder near the
midpoint of the partition.  Evidently, the previous occupant of this
partition (Slackware 2.2) had not consumed enough of the disk space to
hit the bad blocks (or did it just silently mark them out?).

I guess I need to run "mke2fs -c" to find and mark the bad blocks when
initializing the file system, but I haven't figured out how to break
out of the install program to do this and then get back in cleanly.

Is there a way to force the blocks to be marked after the partition
has been initialized?  I ran /sbin/badblocks, which helped me identify
the bad cylinder, but it doesn't seem to have a fix option, nor does
fsck.

I considered partitioning my disk around the bad spot, but I already
have 4 partitions so can't add more.

Any advice would be appreciated.

---------------
Jim Chapman                        NCR Corporation

RedHat 2.1 install: How to mark bad disk blocks?

Post by Jim Chapm » Wed, 10 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> I'm trying to install RedHat 2.1 from the cdrom and discovered my Linux
> disk partition (380MB) had many bad blocks on one cylinder near the
> midpoint of the partition.  Evidently, the previous occupant of this
> partition (Slackware 2.2) had not consumed enough of the disk space to
> hit the bad blocks (or did it just silently mark them out?).

> I guess I need to run "mke2fs -c" to find and mark the bad blocks when
> initializing the file system, but I haven't figured out how to break
> out of the install program to do this and then get back in cleanly.

> Is there a way to force the blocks to be marked after the partition
> has been initialized?  I ran /sbin/badblocks, which helped me identify
> the bad cylinder, but it doesn't seem to have a fix option, nor does
> fsck.

> I considered partitioning my disk around the bad spot, but I already
> have 4 partitions so can't add more.

> Any advice would be appreciated.

Never mind.  I managed to break out of the express install script and
get to a custom install menu.  I'm up and running now!
---
---------------
Jim Chapman                        NCR Corporation

1. Marking bad disk blocks with Slackware 3 during install

Hi-

I'm attempting to install Slackware 3.0 on my 386 ISA system.  I'm using OS/2
boot manager with DOS6/Win3.1 on the first partition, OS/2 Warp on the second,
and trying to Linux on the third.  While going through the installation
process, all the appropriate partitions are recognized (including the swap
partition), but while formating the Linux primary partition I get an error
(sorry, I stupidly forgot to write it down and I'm at work now, not at home
where the machine is).  I think its a bad block, but I don't know how to run
the formating program to mark and exclude bad blocks.  The drive is a brand
new Maxitor 1.2 GB EIDE with an Acculogic EIDE board.  Thanks for any help
your able to give.

-Larry

2. Problems with sigaction

3. How do I mark bad blocks on my disk?

4. Do you have to divide up the root disk with actual /usr, /var partitions ?

5. FINDING and MARKING DISK ERRORS / BAD BLOCKS??????

6. RedHat installation success story?

7. My bad blocks aren't getting marked bad ...

8. Lilo dual boot setup problem; booting win from hdg

9. : Problem with RedHat 2.1 install, corrupts rest of disk on LBA drive

10. HOW do i mark BAD BLOCKS in ext2???

11. Q: How to mark EXT2 blocks as BAD ?

12. Bad blocks. e2fsck does not mark them!

13. Can't mark bad block