disk quotas?

Post by ing.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Does Linux support disk quotas?  I would like to replace my NT file
server with Linux running Samba because my users abuse the disk space.
I would also like to limit the disk space based on NT account, hence the
need for Samba.  The third party tools for NT disk quotas is beyond my
budget.  Any advice would be great.  Thanks.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

disk quotas?

Post by Alan J. Wyl » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Does Linux support disk quotas?  I would like to replace my NT file
> server with Linux running Samba because my users abuse the disk space.
> I would also like to limit the disk space based on NT account, hence the
> need for Samba.  The third party tools for NT disk quotas is beyond my
> budget.  Any advice would be great.  Thanks.

See the quota mini-howto, available from
http://www.man.ac.uk/LinuxDoc/HOWTO/mini/Quota.html

or your local mirror of
http://www.linuxdoc.org/

--
Alan J. Wylie                         http://www.glaramara.freeserve.co.uk
My e-mail address should _not_ be modified.

Build a system that even an idiot can use,
and only an idiot will want to use it

disk quotas?

Post by Byron Mille » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>Does Linux support disk quotas?  I would like to replace my NT file
>server with Linux running Samba because my users abuse the disk space.
>I would also like to limit the disk space based on NT account, hence the
>need for Samba.  The third party tools for NT disk quotas is beyond my
>budget.  Any advice would be great.  Thanks.

Linux does support quotas :) right out of the box. There are several
faqs available and the commercial products have support for you to
access help on configuring it also.

-byron

Byron Miller Consulting | http://www.reliabilityfactor.com

1. file format of 'quotas' (Solaris disk quota system)?

I need help.

     What is the format of 'quotas' used to turn on the quota system. I read
the man page on 'quotaon', it says one needs to have a file named 'quotas' on
the root directory, refer 'edquota' for more detail. When I read 'edquota', it
refers back to 'quotaon' for detail. ---> <----!!

     Any one please provide the format of the file 'quotas'? Please email
if possible.

     Thank you very much.
--
++ Xiannong Meng            Department of Computer Science  ++
++ Assistant Professor      The University of Texas -- Pan American         ++

2. XServer won't run with SLI Voodoo2 & Diamond V500

3. Disk Quota patches and utulities

4. which pkg: /usr/src/linux/include/linux?

5. Disk quotas not staying in sync?

6. 4.1 to 4.3 upgrade questions

7. QUESTION? DISK QUOTA for USERS

8. 2.5.67: OOPS in wait_on_buffer