Installing an ethernet card in Linux after base install

Post by Wayne Larmo » Tue, 20 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> I have RedHat Linux 6 and would like to use my ethernet card (a Dlink
> DFE530TX 10/100 card) to connect to my Win98 system thru a hub.  How o
> I install the drivers and enable TCP/IP networking on the Linux box
> permanently?  Can anyone provide a step-by-step?  If I have to
> recompile the kernel (?) can someone tell me exactly how to do this or
> point me in the right direction? ?  I tried some internet resources
> and the Linux documentation but was confused by some/most of it.

> TIA
> thurman

The D-Link 530 works great.  I'm connected using one right now.  You
don't have to re-compile the kernel.  The main gotcha' is that it isn't
detected during the initial install, but you probably already know that.

All you have to do is use Linuxconf and go to Config/Networking/Client
tasks/Basic host information and set your networking information.
Choose 'via-rhine' for the kernel module.

Even though Linuxconf sets all the assorted configuration scripts
correctly, it often (in my experience) doesn't do a good job of
initializing the card properly, so you might have to re-boot after the
first time you set this up.

Some more information on getting Ethernet cards to work:
http://www.scrounge.org/linux/nics.htm

Wayne Larmon
http://www.scrounge.org/
http://www.scrounge.org/linux/linuxtips.html

Installing an ethernet card in Linux after base install

Post by thurm » Thu, 22 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Wayne:

The problem is that the kernel module  'via-rhine' is not offered in
the dropdown box in LinuxConfig.  I found it on the internet and D/L
it and compiled it and then installed it into the usr/src/modules/net
directory. after that I ran make modules and make modules_install. I
still don not see via-rhine in the linux-config drop down box., but I
typed it in.  The card is still not working.
Any ideas?

thurman

>> I have RedHat Linux 6 and would like to use my ethernet card (a Dlink
>> DFE530TX 10/100 card) to connect to my Win98 system thru a hub.  How o
>> I install the drivers and enable TCP/IP networking on the Linux box
>> permanently?  Can anyone provide a step-by-step?  If I have to
>> recompile the kernel (?) can someone tell me exactly how to do this or
>> point me in the right direction? ?  I tried some internet resources
>> and the Linux documentation but was confused by some/most of it.

>> TIA
>> thurman

>The D-Link 530 works great.  I'm connected using one right now.  You
>don't have to re-compile the kernel.  The main gotcha' is that it isn't
>detected during the initial install, but you probably already know that.

>All you have to do is use Linuxconf and go to Config/Networking/Client
>tasks/Basic host information and set your networking information.
>Choose 'via-rhine' for the kernel module.

>Even though Linuxconf sets all the assorted configuration scripts
>correctly, it often (in my experience) doesn't do a good job of
>initializing the card properly, so you might have to re-boot after the
>first time you set this up.

>Some more information on getting Ethernet cards to work:
>http://www.scrounge.org/linux/nics.htm

>Wayne Larmon
>http://www.scrounge.org/
>http://www.scrounge.org/linux/linuxtips.html

1. Installing an ethernet card in Linux after base install

I have RedHat Linux 6 and would like to use my ethernet card (a Dlink
DFE530TX 10/100 card) to connect to my Win98 system thru a hub.  How o
I install the drivers and enable TCP/IP networking on the Linux box
permanently?  Can anyone provide a step-by-step?  If I have to
recompile the kernel (?) can someone tell me exactly how to do this or
point me in the right direction? ?  I tried some internet resources
and the Linux documentation but was confused by some/most of it.

TIA
thurman

2. NCSA server on SVR4/ATT Starserver

3. Can't Install Ethernet Card after Linux is already Installed

4. how to install samba?

5. Newbie Installing Ethernet card after inital install

6. NO MOTIF for Linux (from us)

7. installing sound card prevents ethernet card detection

8. Picking a character from a word

9. how to install sound card and ethernet card?

10. problems with Mandrake Linux install on a sony 505F laptop - PCMCIA card install issue

11. Installing 3 ethernet cards in Linux

12. linux ethernet card driver install

13. How To Install Linux Drivers For Ethernet Card?