Window NT 4 & Red Hat Linux 5.2 & Boot Magic

Window NT 4 & Red Hat Linux 5.2 & Boot Magic

Post by Jeff Ekbla » Tue, 09 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I'm currently running NT 4.0 on a dual pentium workstation.  I've gotten
the Linux bug and I'd like to have these operating systems co-exist on
my machine.

I own Partion Magic 4.0 and have it installed.  I have not yet installed
Boot Magic.

I am looking for some advice on how to proceed with my install of red
hat 5.2.

I have 3 fat16 2 gig partions open for my installation.

Thank You!

Jeff

Window NT 4 & Red Hat Linux 5.2 & Boot Magic

Post by David Stockbridg » Wed, 10 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I did a triple boot (DOS, Win95, Linux) installation using BootMagic and
Partition Magic 4. It works great. The most important thing to remember is
to NOT put LILO in the Master Boot Record during the Linux installation, put
it in the Linux root partition. Power Quest has a detailed write up at
http://support.powerquest.com/BM/bm8001.html
I suggest you read it and follow the directions.

Dave

Window NT 4 & Red Hat Linux 5.2 & Boot Magic

Post by Sprocke » Sat, 13 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I also have a triple boot machine (DOS 6.2, Win95, Linux) and I *did* put
LILO in the Master Boot Record During the Linux installation and everything
works fine.  You don't always need to buy software to accomplish such
things (although the screen would probably look a bit prettier!)

Quote:> I did a triple boot (DOS, Win95, Linux) installation using BootMagic and

Post by D. C. & M. V. Session » Mon, 15 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> I also have a triple boot machine (DOS 6.2, Win95, Linux) and I *did* put
> LILO in the Master Boot Record During the Linux installation and everything
> works fine.  You don't always need to buy software to accomplish such
> things (although the screen would probably look a bit prettier!)

> > I did a triple boot (DOS, Win95, Linux) installation using BootMagic and
> > Partition Magic 4. It works great. The most important thing to remember
> is
> > to NOT put LILO in the Master Boot Record during the Linux installation,
> put
> > it in the Linux root partition. Power Quest has a detailed write up at
> > http://support.powerquest.com/BM/bm8001.html
> > I suggest you read it and follow the directions.

> I also have a triple boot machine (DOS 6.2, Win95, Linux) and I *did* put
> LILO in the Master Boot Record During the Linux installation and everything
> works fine.  You don't always need to buy software to accomplish such
> things (although the screen would probably look a bit prettier!)

LILO works fine for your case; multibooting under LILO for
DOS & sons is straightforward.  Unfortunately, for some reason
LILO won't boot you to an NTFS partition.  Oh, well; instead
we just have Boot Manager take us to either NT, Linux (the stable
installation) or a removable drive on /dev/hdc that we use for
experimental builds, occasional Win95 foolishness, and stuff
like that.  The second stage boot in Linux allows us to also
have a choice of kernels and run levels at boot time, so the
nested menus aren't all that redundant.

--
"Amid reports that the US House of Representatives' open mail
 servers were used to relay spam, a House subcommittee met