Upgrading Redhat without losing everything

Upgrading Redhat without losing everything

Post by ddmo.. » Thu, 15 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I've been running RH5.1 on my machine for awhile now, and have been
quite happy with it.  I would like to move up to RH6.0, though.  But
I'm deathly afraid of accidentally wiping out my /home partition,
which contains years of old emails, documents, etc..  (I have no
ready backup solution.  Stupid, I know.)  Am I going to be able to
upgrade from RH5.1 to 6.0 and keep my /home partition the same?

Also, I've got a copy of 6.0 from one of those freebie deals somebody
on the net was giving out.  So, I've got 2 CD's, but no manual or
floppies.  Does that mean no installation program, I have to do it
all by myself?  Am I just better off coughing up the $50 bucks (and
eating the $8 it cost to ship me the "freebie" :)) in order to get
it right from the horse's mouth?

Duane

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Post by Colin Wats » Thu, 15 Jul 1999 04:00:00

>I've been running RH5.1 on my machine for awhile now, and have been
>quite happy with it.  I would like to move up to RH6.0, though.  But
>I'm deathly afraid of accidentally wiping out my /home partition,
>which contains years of old emails, documents, etc..  (I have no
>ready backup solution.  Stupid, I know.)  Am I going to be able to
>upgrade from RH5.1 to 6.0 and keep my /home partition the same?

Yes, though be careful; write down the partition details that running
'mount' (with no parameters) gives you before you start, and don't
mention the /home partition to RH 6.0 *at all*. Once you've got 6.0
installed, log in as root (root's default home directory is /root, of
course, so this is possible without a /home partition), add /home to
your /etc/fstab as appropriate, and mount it. No RPMs should install
to /home.

If you have enough disk space, it might be nice for your peace of mind
to make a .tar.gz file of your /home partition and put it on some
other partition, just in case. This is what I did when moving to
Debian, though I didn't have any problems (apart from numerical user
ids being different, but that's another story).

Quote:>Also, I've got a copy of 6.0 from one of those freebie deals somebody
>on the net was giving out.  So, I've got 2 CD's, but no manual or
>floppies.  Does that mean no installation program, I have to do it
>all by myself?

Either the floppy images will be on the CD (in i386/images/ or
similar, as I recall), or you can download them from
ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/redhat-6.0/i386/images/ and write them using
'dd'. (There'll be instructions in the installation guide on the CD.)

Good luck!

--
Colin Watson                                      [cjw44 at cam.ac.uk]
Trinity College, Cambridge, and Computer Science       [riva.ucam.org]

Upgrading Redhat without losing everything

Post by Daryl Stult » Thu, 15 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Am I going to be able to
>upgrade from RH5.1 to 6.0 and keep my /home partition the same?

You won't have any trouble with your /home stuff if you Upgrade rather than
Install. I recommend simply making a copy of your user directories in /home.

A lot of other things will be disturbed, however. The upgrader saves the
previous config files as *.rpmsave for your reference. I ended up with the
following problems:

Incorrect kernel installed (I have 2 CPUs)
ppp not working (lost kppp and gnome-ppp account profiles, "can't create
modem lock file" error from kppp after resetting account info)
Emacs/Java IDE not working - compile fails with shared library problem.

Upgrading Redhat without losing everything

Post by Stev » Thu, 15 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

> >Am I going to be able to
> >upgrade from RH5.1 to 6.0 and keep my /home partition the same?

> You won't have any trouble with your /home stuff if you Upgrade rather
than
> Install. I recommend simply making a copy of your user directories in
/home.

> A lot of other things will be disturbed, however. The upgrader saves
the
> previous config files as *.rpmsave for your reference. I ended up with
the
> following problems:

> Incorrect kernel installed (I have 2 CPUs)
> ppp not working (lost kppp and gnome-ppp account profiles, "can't
create
> modem lock file" error from kppp after resetting account info)
> Emacs/Java IDE not working - compile fails with shared library
problem.

I got my RH6.0 from LSL, stuck it in the CDROM drive and did shutdown -r
now. The new CDROM booted and I selected upgrade, followed most of the
default prompts and ended up with a perfectly (or so it seems for now)
unscathed system. The only serious difficulty I had was recompiling the
kernel and getting modules to install properly, but that is another
story. /home was untouched and I had no need for my backup tape.

Post by Rod Roar » Thu, 22 Jul 1999 04:00:00

>I've been running RH5.1 on my machine for awhile now, and have been
>quite happy with it.  I would like to move up to RH6.0, though.  But
>I'm deathly afraid of accidentally wiping out my /home partition,
>which contains years of old emails, documents, etc..  (I have no
>ready backup solution.  Stupid, I know.)  Am I going to be able to
>upgrade from RH5.1 to 6.0 and keep my /home partition the same?

This is a good time to start being less stupid.  :-)

First, buy a second hard drive and install it as the primary drive (hda)
and switch the old drive to the secondary IDE port (hdc). Do a fresh RH
6.0 install, creating a new /home partition and whaever else your heart
desires. Then copy everything over that you care about from your old hard
drive.

When you're satisfied with the new installation, repartition hdc with a
large partition to use for backups.  You might also put your swap
partition over there. This is a great fast, cheap backup solution.

Quote:>Also, I've got a copy of 6.0 from one of those freebie deals somebody
>on the net was giving out.  So, I've got 2 CD's, but no manual or
>floppies.  Does that mean no installation program, I have to do it
>all by myself?  Am I just better off coughing up the $50 bucks (and
>eating the $8 it cost to ship me the "freebie" :)) in order to get
>it right from the horse's mouth?

The Red Hat manuals are available online at http://www.redhat.com/.

-- Rod
Sunset Systems                           Preconfigured Linux Computers
http://www.sunsetsystems.com/                      and Custom Software

1. Upgrading Redhat without losing files?

Hi,

  I currently use RedHat 6.0 (uname -a => Linux 2.2.12-20) and I
  realize I'm in desperate need of upgrading my distribution and my
  gcc.

  I'm far from an expert user/tweaker, but I have made a lot of little
  changes to my system to support certain, rather specific software I
  use that I didn't keep track of (i.e., changes I cannot remember, or
  cannot remember how exactly to duplicate.)  I was wondering if
  there's a way for me to upgrade my system to a newer distribution
  without losing all of my customization (e.g., software already
  installed, window manager setup, etc.)?

  Also, I understand that I run the risk of breaking some software by
  upgrading my distro, specifically by upgrading gcc.  How significant
  is this threat?  I don't really care if the version of my, say, MP3
  player is now incompatible due to some GTK lib it uses that cannot
  run with my new gcc, or some other trivial issue, but if it can lead
  to greater incompatibilities that may keep my system from
  functioning I'd like to know.  Finally, I'm sure I'm not the first
  to ask this, so if you guys know if any information addressing this
  (preferably geared to RedHat users, let me know.)

Thank a lot!
--

2. howto check ip address in shell without using ifconfig?

3. Help: Reinstalling Linux Without Losing Everything

4. net-snmp sample source code...

5. How do I install everything without running everything?

6. *SOLVED* parallel printing

7. bkbits.net down?

8. Upgrading an enternal USR Courier V.Everything *without* MS-Windows...

9. how to upgrade to new Linux without losing old data/apps ?

10. Can I upgrade from OS5 Host To OS5 Enterprise without losing contents of the HD.

11. HOW to upgrade to samba 2.2.3a without losing previous samba configuration