Future Domain SCSI timeout mystery

Post by Judah Milgr » Wed, 02 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Just installed a Future Domain 1680 SCSI controller (with 18C30 chip)
with Wangdat 3100 tape drive. This is only device on the controller.
Kernel is 1.2.11 with fdomain (only) scsi support; am booting from a
floppy. The host is recognized on boot, then it hangs with a scsi
timeout and a message about Test Unit Ready.

The SCSI-howto suggests this is probably an IRQ or DMA conflict,
but for the life of me I can't find one. Booting with various cards
pulled produced same results. I'm out of ideas.

Changing the tape's scsi ID from 0 to 1 did result in the timeout
message changing, reporting ID 1 instead of 0; might this suggest
the problem is with the setup of the tape drive itself?

other info: 1680 card is supposed to automatically determine termination.
            tape drive has termination networks installed, but no
                power termination.
            kernel has sound driver too ... could this be related?
            tried booting with tape in drive and various tape unit
               jumper options to no avail

thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Judah Milgram

Post by Joseph S. D. Y » Wed, 02 Aug 1995 04:00:00

>The SCSI-howto suggests this is probably an IRQ or DMA conflict,
>but for the life of me I can't find one. Booting with various cards
>pulled produced same results. I'm out of ideas.

I must have missed that.  But, other sources had suggested that the
sound card's SCSI controller might have an IRQ of 15, and the IDE
controller ("other non-SCSI disk controllers") might have an IRQ of 14.
If either of these is so, it seems to be completely undocumented - can
anyone comment intelligently on this?  (PAS-16 sound board, DTC/generic
IDE/ports board)  But if it is so, it may explain the problems I've
been having and that you are now having.

I've been intending to try the system with the obviously suggested
changes ... will get to it in the "near" future.

--

Future Domain SCSI timeout mystery

Post by Judah Milgr » Wed, 02 Aug 1995 04:00:00

>Future Domain 1680 SCSI controller (with 18C30 chip)
>with Wangdat 3100 tape drive....
>The host is recognized on boot, then it hangs with a scsi
>timeout and a message about Test Unit Ready.

I reset all jumpers to default (except floppy enable on the 1680)
and turned on the jumper in the tape drive which applies active
termination power. (the SCSI howto does recommend this, after all ...)

I also reset four "unused" jumpers on the tape drive to their
defaults as pictured in the manual (wasn't delivered that way);
who knows if that actually did anything.

Now it works like a champ. So whatever it was, it definitely wasn't
an IRQ or address conflict. Thanks to all who helped.

- Judah

1. Need Future Domain SCSI 18xx SCSI drvier for Linux

I'm looking for a SCSI driver for Linux. I may even have it but do not
know how to implement it. Can anyone offer any advice on getting and
using a driver for a Future Doamin 18xx series SCSI-2 controller? And,
do I need to have the BIOS on the card enabled to use it? I do not use the
bios now since I only have a Sony CDROM on it right now.

2. Proliant DL360 with sendmail on RedHat 8.0

3. HELP: Future Domain SCSI with 2 SCSI drives

4. Term cannot find network

5. Future Domain 9C50 SCSI chip (as in Orchid SoundWave 32 pro SCSI)

6. Addition Oracle instance on separate server?

7. Future Domain timeout

8. Mosaic and Netscape and remote X

9. Future domain 950 gives timeout problem... help!!

10. Timeouts with Future Domain TMC-1680

11. Future Domain SCSI Problem

12. Possible changes to the FUTURE DOMAIN parts of seagate scsi driver.

13. need help with future domain tmc-845 scsi