Master Boot Record or LILO problem. Only LI appears and not LILO

Post by Simon Wing-Tan » Fri, 27 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> I have a 386 PC with a working
> /dev/hda1 (linux)
> /dev/hda2 (dos)
> These are some steps I followed in transferring:

> fdisk   each partition
> format  each partition. The dos Partition was formatted as /s

        What about copying the data from the originals to the new disk ? ;-)

Quote:> After removing the old IDE, I can boot up the system using a boot floppy
> with root filesystem /dev/sda1, but I cannot boot the PC off of the MBR.
> All I get is LI and not the complete LILO.

> I have tried installing lilo several times through the setup cursor based

        There are a couple of things to look at here.  Check that the new Linux
fs is set to linux native and that it is a bootable partition, look for
the "+" next to the blocks count.  From the way your prompt looks, (
getting to the LI state ) I'm guessing that it is just a lilo install
problem.  Check your /etc/lilo.conf and see that it looks something
like.....

# LILO configuration file
# generated by 'liloconfig'
#
# Start LILO global section
boot = /dev/sda
#compact        # faster, but won't work on all systems.
delay = 15
vga = normal    # force sane state
ramdisk = 0     # paranoia setting
# End LILO global section
# Linux bootable partition config begins
image = /vmlinux
  root = /dev/sda1
  label = Linux-1.2.13
  read-only # Non-UMSDOS filesystems should be mounted read-only for
checking
# Linux bootable partition config ends

check that your image is the same as the file you have, ( /vmlinuz,
/vmlinux, /zImage or whatever ).  Also check that the root device is
correct for you, ( /dev/sda1 for the first partition etc).  Then cd to /
and rerun lilo to install the boot loader.

        Hope this helps,

                Simon.
| Simon Wing-Tang                                                    |
| Systems Administrator                                              |
| Telstra Learning                 " If at first you don't succeed.. |

| http://www.alexia.net.au/~www/swt                                  |
| PH: 613-9295-4223                                                  |

Post by bill davids » Sat, 28 Sep 1996 04:00:00

| I have a 386 PC with a working
| /dev/hda1 (linux)
| /dev/hda2 (dos)
| filesystem on an IDE. They are booted off a MBR (master boot record).
|
| I have recently bought a 2.1GB SCSI hard disk, and am trying to transfer
| the two filesystems to it. The parameters of SCSI are:
|
| Cyl   2069
| Head  64
| Sector        32
|
| and is ofcourse NOT supported in the CMOS setup that comes before bootup.
|
| These are some steps I followed in transferring:
|
| fdisk each partition
| format        each partition. The dos Partition was formatted as /s
|
| After removing the old IDE, I can boot up the system using a boot floppy
| with root filesystem /dev/sda1, but I cannot boot the PC off of the MBR.
| All I get is LI and not the complete LILO.

My guess is that you relocated the system such that some part of the
kernel is above the 1023 cylinder limit for LILO. This is due to the
BIOS being usend for the boot, not a program error. I always create
a tiny /boot partition low on the disk, and put my kernels in that.

To test:

Copy the kernel to the DOS partition (mount it, of course), change
the pointer in lilo.conf, or create an alternate boot name.

You may also have put the 2nd half of the LILO program itself too
high, in which case you should create a subdirectory in DOS, copy
all the contents of /boot into it, then rename /boot and make /boot
a symbolic link to the directory.

Ex:
 # mkdir /DOC/boot
 # cd /boot
 # cp -p * /DOS/boot
 # cd ..
 # mv boot OLDboot && ln -s /DOS/boot /boot

If repartitioning the disk is not too much trouble, I highly
recommend doing that, so you don't need to play all these games.
--

"As a software development model, Anarchy does not scale well."
                -Dave Welch