Problem upgrading kernel and making initial ramdisk & kernel.

Problem upgrading kernel and making initial ramdisk & kernel.

Post by Bud » Wed, 10 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I have redhat 5.2 and wanted to update the kernel to 2.2.2 using the
instructions on Redhats website.  I got all the packages I would need to
upgrade before I began with the kernel.  I then did the whole make xconfig,
make dep, make clean, make bzImage, make modules, make modules_install.  And
copied everything where it needed to go.  However when I use the command
"mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.2.2..img 2.2.2" I get the following error.
mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/loop0 as a block device
(maybe `insmod driver'?)
Can't get a loopback device

I have set loopback (under block devices) as no, yes, and module under
xconfig and recompiled everytime and still get this error.  If I could go
back to my old kernel I would, but it seems I get errors booting and the old
kernel no longer supports vfat and a lot of other problems.  I figure the
only way to get things working again is to get this new kernel working.  So
any help would be greatly appreciated.  thanks in advance.
Steve

1. problem with creating ramdisk: kernel loads, but hangs when it tries to mount ramdisk

Hi,

I built a ramdisk root partition for redhat 5.2, but it seems to crash as
soon as the kernel jumps to the ramdisk.
The last message I see is:
    VFS: Mounted root (ext2 fileseystem).

I built the ramdisk according to the instructions in docs/bootdisks
(followed it precisely)

Basically, I zeroed /dev/ram, made it an ext2 file system, and then mounted
it on /mnt.
I then created /mnt/dev, /mnt/etc, /mnt/bin, /mnt/sbin, /mnt/lib, /mnt/usr,
and /mnt/var
I populated dev with cp -dpR /dev /mnt
I then copied most of the /bin and /sbin binaries into their respective
locations.  I issued an ldd /mnt/bin/init and copied all of the libraries
required by init.  I stripped out the debug information with objmove from
the libraries and maintained symbolic links.

I then unmounted /mnt and copied the contents of /dev/ram to a file with a
dd if=/dev/ram of=rootfs bs=1k
It said there was a read/write error at this step.  Not sure what caused the
error.

Could someone post a generic redhat 5.2 (intel) ramdisk root partition (one
that can be mounted by the kernel and contains basic binaries)?  I would
really like to try a ramdisk that I know is working.

Thanks,

Oscar Stiffelman

2. Openstep to Linux instead of NT/Win95

3. Kernel panic with boot & rescue disk after kernel upgrade

4. Read without supression of spaces at the beginning of line

5. Q: RAMDISK, how to make use of a ramdisk specified in kernel Makefile

6. C++ and libraries?

7. upgrading kernel: failure to load SCSI ramdisk

8. /dos writes for non-root users

9. Problem upgrading Kernel, Kernel Panic.

10. PROBLEM: AD1816A Sound Failure Upgrading to Kernel-2.4.5 from Kernel-2.2.19

11. Problem in upgrading kernel -- can't boot the system with new 2.4.1 kernel

12. Problem wiht Kernel upgrading, Kernel Panic: ...

13. Kernel Upgrade problem: Incorrect kernel version with /boot/System.map