nec 260 4x cdrom-1.3.4x kernels

Post by Chuck Flemi » Sun, 24 Dec 1995 04:00:00

I've just installed kernel 1.3.45 and 1.3.49 and my nec 260 4x cdrom
does not seem to be detected under either.  I was previously running
kernel 1.3.30 and everything worked fine.  (Yes I configured the make to
include support for ide/atapi cdroms).  I know these are developement
kernels but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas.  The memory management in
the 1.3.4x kernels seems much better than in the older versions.  This
is a pretty standard cdrom drive so I'm pretty sure it should be supported.
When I boot I get unknown cdrom format.....
The cdrom is not listed under /proc/devices
when i attempt to mount I get /dev/hdc or cdrom is not a valid
block device.

If you need any more info e-mail me or post, I'm a frequent reader.

Everything else works fine.
Oh, yeah I'm using the elf (slackware 3.0) distribution.

Thanks for your time,
Chuck Fleming

Post by Chuck Earl Flemi » Sun, 24 Dec 1995 04:00:00

[...]

Sorry, its a nec 271 4x cdrom.

Chuck Fleming

1. Goldstar 540 4X CDROM (Reveal 4x CDROm)

I just purchaced the Infomagic Developer's Resource Linux kit.  It came
with the Slackware 2.2 software (kernel 1.2).  The CDROM I have is on an
IDE/ATAPI interface.  When creating the boot and root floppies, I picked
the IDE/ATAPI kernel.  I boot and it recognizes the CDROM.  I create my
partitions (or rather recreate - I was using an old linux) and run
setup.  I choose IDE drive for the source and pick my packages.  It
starts to install (CD light flashes) and then errors out giving me a
unexpeced end of file for tar (the CDROM complains about a Buffer problem.)

Going out to root, I can see that the CDROM is mounted.  I can cd to the
directory and look around.  If I cat out a readme.lnx or readme.dos file
it will go so far then the buffer error.

Can anyone help?!!!!

Bob

2. monitor(3c) on solaris - how?

3. Need bootdisk image for NEC 4X IDE CDROM

4. Pay as low as $2.40US for Webhosting

5. Getting a NEC 4x CDROM to work so I can install

6. problem setting up Linux, hangs while booting

7. Does Linux Support Nec CDR 271 4x CdRom

8. Shared library ver. numbers

9. Can't install from NEC Multispin 4x SCSI CDROM

10. Need help w/ inst. with NEC CDR-272 4x CDROM!

11. Toshiba 4x v. Mitsumi 4x CD-ROM

12. Ricoh 7040A 4x/4x/20x IDE int.

13. Sanyo 4x vs. Mitsumi 4x