Printing from windows to a Linux printer

Printing from windows to a Linux printer

Post by Brian McKee » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi
  I just installed a local printer to my Linux server and would like to use
it as a remote printer for my windows machines on my network. Anyone know
how to do that? Any suggestions are appreciated. thanks in advance

Post by Michael Per » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>Hi
>  I just installed a local printer to my Linux server and would like to use
>it as a remote printer for my windows machines on my network. Anyone know
>how to do that? Any suggestions are appreciated. thanks in advance

This is actually pretty easy to accomplish.  Ensure you have a working
printer in your /etc/printcap file that you can print from linux to.  Now
you will need to get samba working on the linux box and be able to browse
the network on the 98 box or boxes.  This may take a bit because you will
have to mess with encrypted passwords, etc.  There are some good howto's on
samba and I would start at the samba web site.  What I did on debian was
read over the /etc/samba/smb.conf file and make changes in there I wanted to
make like for printers, home directories, file and directory permissions.  I
set up a second share for a public group to share files.  I went to a win98
box and elected to setup a network printer and went to the file share that
pointed at my linux printer.  I installed the windows printer drivers for my
Lexmark E310 laser printer.  Now it works quite well.  I also queue my
printing from other linux boxes to my debian box.  I have a redhat 6.2 box
that I play with.  I upgraded to lprng because I could not seem to get lpr
to see the printer and believe it was turned on or accepting connections.  I
also used a nifty little program called rlpr which prints directly to tcpip
addresses out there.

I expect it took me about 30 minutes of effort and I got printing working
across my home network.  The hardest part was the continual rebooting that
windows subjects people to for network changes.  What a consummate bore. :)

--
Michael Perry

------------------

Printing from windows to a Linux printer

Post by Andrew Kenn » Tue, 26 Sep 2000 07:56:37

You will need to configure it as a samba printer under an x-windows program
called printtool

You have to make sure samba is working so you can see your linux machine
through the network neighbourhood icon for this to work.

If you have any problems drop me an email

Regards

Andrew

Quote:> Hi
>   I just installed a local printer to my Linux server and would like to
use
> it as a remote printer for my windows machines on my network. Anyone know
> how to do that? Any suggestions are appreciated. thanks in advance

1. Using samba and windows drivers to print to windows printer

Anyone know how to make windows process a samba sent print request using
the windows printer drivers?

I have set up samba on my linux box, and I can succesfully print text to my
windows98 HP722C, using smbprint. The problem is that printing through samba
writes directly to the shared win98 printer port, bypassing any windows printer
drivers. So attempting to print a jpeg file etc through samba ends up with
garbage coming out of the windows printer.  The same effect can be seen from
the windows box if you type "copy xxx.jpg lpt1".

Is there a way to configure samba, or windows to apply the windows printer
drivers to the print request before sending it to the printer?  I have
discovered
that many drivers are only available on windows, so I would like to let samba
pass the raw file to the windows box and have its drivers do the dirty work.

If anyone has any Ideas on how to perform this, it would be apreciated.

Thanks,
Marc Lottman

2. Transferring Pixmap to Clipboard

3. printing from linux on a "for-window" printer

4. Icon problems -- solved.

5. Printing on Linux printer from Windows

6. My PPP link works fine at the beginning and .... (BlueCat ARM 89712)

7. Can't print through CUPS from Linux to Windows XP printer

8. PPP support in kernel

9. Printing from Linux (lprng) to a shared printer on a Windows host

10. Printing from windows to linux network printer

11. Can I print from Linux to a printer connected to my windows station???

12. using linux to enable printing by Windows machines to network printers

13. Printing to a GDI (windows only) printer from Linux