Support for Intel Ambient HaM modem?

Post by Dennis Roar » Tue, 19 Mar 2002 08:31:06

Does any distro support the PCI modem using the Intel Ambient chipset HaM
modem (such as the Archtek or LinkSys modems using the Ambient chipset)
without recompiling the kernel?

--
Dennis Roark

Starting Points:
www.home.earthlink.net/~denro

Support for Intel Ambient HaM modem?

Post by ER » Thu, 21 Mar 2002 08:19:17

On Sun, 17 Mar 2002 23:31:06 UTC, Dennis Roark

+ Does any distro support the PCI modem using the Intel Ambient
+ chipset HaM modem [...]

You've asked a FAQ so I'm posting a "pre-recorded" message. It's only
fair. :-) Your post is either about "what modem do I use?" or about
the notorious "winmodems" aka "losemodems".

If you need a new modem or are pulling out hair trying to get that
"losemodem" working try MultiTech's MT56* line of modems:

 http://www.multitech.com/PRODUCTS/MultiModemZDX/
 http://www.multitech.com/PRODUCTS/MultiModemZDX/os_compatibility.asp
 http://www.multitech.com/NEWS/MultiModemZDX/Reviews.asp

We've had great success with these at our clients that use *nix and
OS/2 systems. You can find these at several online stores as well as
your local computer resellers. These are a mid-range price at over
$100. Low end modems are usually under $100 and "high end" modems are
usually over $200.

More information about modems can be found in the modem section of
"The Unix Hardware Buyer HOWTO" at linuxdoc.org:

  http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Unix-Hardware-Buyer-HOWTO/modems.html

Read it, especially parts 7.3 and 7.4. Then go and start reading here
for a gritty and humorous treatise of internal vs external modems:

  http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/#internalmodem

For information on many modems pre-tested with Linux see this:

  http://www.idir.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

Note that the above site *does not* just cover "losemodems". Many
real modems appear in the "Big List" there. Real, external modems
will work pretty much anywhere a modem is needed.

If you *insist* on using that "losemodem" then see this site:

  http://www.linmodems.org/

May the PC gods have mercy on you.

Caldera Authorized Partner - OpenServer 5+, UnixWare 7+ & OpenLinux
--
.   Owner and C.E.O. - ERA Computer Consulting - Jackson, TN USA    .
.  OS/2, UnixWare, OpenServer & Linux Business Computing Solutions  .

1. Good experience with Ambient/Intel HaM V.92 modem

I just wanted to pass along some positive information on the Ambient/Intel
  PCI V.92 HaM modem.  Unlike WINMODEMS/SOFTMODEMS, these things
  do most of the DSP in hardware, and relegate the AT command processing,
  and "controller" functions to the host system.

I bought this card from eBay, from a place that claimed it was a
  "Hardware Modem".  The price seemed too good to resist.  When I got
  it, and tried to configure it as a regular hardware modem, it became
  clear quite quickly that this wasn't an ordinary hardware modem.

I tracked down an Intel site that had drivers for this card, complete with
  source.  I compiled and installed it in my 2.4.17 kernel, and I'm happy
  with it so far.

I bought this card as a temporary replacement for my USR V.90 Pro PCI full
  hardware modem that died (but is still under warantee!).

The PCI vendor ID is 0x1813, with a device ID of 0x4000.

There are at least two vendors on eBay selling these things by the truckload,
  typically for under US$10.00 a piece.
Marcus Leech                             Mail:   Dept 8M70, MS 012, FITZ
Advisor                                  Phone: (ESN) 393-9145  +1 613 763 9145
Security Architecture and Planning       Fax:   (ESN) 393-9435  +1 613 763 9435

2. Need help with File and Directory Manipulations

3. linux drives for ambient HaM modem

4. Xsun and multiple heads

5. Fake Modem Blues 2 - Intel HaM

6. Unable to compile netaudio on SunOS 4.1 or 5.3, Alternative? HELP

7. Intel HAM modem driver needed for kernel 2.4.x

8. NFSv2 READDIR broken

9. Intel MD563X-HaM modem slow

10. Intel ham modem new driver problem

11. Intel Ambiant 56k HAm Voice Fax Data Modem.

12. Intel HAM Modem

13. Modem driver for Ambient MD5628-D-L-A