issue & issue.net files

Post by Luke & Niki Voge » Mon, 21 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I have found that the "/etc/issue" and "/etc/issue.net" files are used
to present the beginning of the login prompt in RedHat Linux 5.2

I edited the files to reflect the welcome message that I wanted when I
logged on.

So far so good, I then rebooted to see the new prompt and got the same
old:

Red Hat Linux 5.2 (Apollo)
kernel version 2.0.36
login:

On checking the "/etc/issue" and "/etc/issue.net" files, I find that
they have been changed back to the original message.

Any suggestions as where and or how and or why this is happening?
and probably more importantly, how do I get it to do what I want?

thanks in advance ...

Luke
--

ICQ UIN: 1146938
http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/9263 (Marfan)

"Out the 10Base-T, through the router, down the T1, over the
leased-line,
off the bridge, past the firewall...nothing but Net."

issue & issue.net files

Post by Lew Pitch » Tue, 22 Jun 1999 04:00:00

If RedHat is like Slackware, then there's an rc.d script that's resetting
them. In Slackware, this happens in /etc/rc.d/rc.S; YMMV.

To find: grep /etc/issue /etc/rc.d/*

Then edit the scripts to remove (disable) the loading of /etc/issue*

>I have found that the "/etc/issue" and "/etc/issue.net" files are used
>to present the beginning of the login prompt in RedHat Linux 5.2

>I edited the files to reflect the welcome message that I wanted when I
>logged on.

>So far so good, I then rebooted to see the new prompt and got the same
>old:

>Red Hat Linux 5.2 (Apollo)
>kernel version 2.0.36
>login:

>On checking the "/etc/issue" and "/etc/issue.net" files, I find that
>they have been changed back to the original message.

>Any suggestions as where and or how and or why this is happening?
>and probably more importantly, how do I get it to do what I want?

>thanks in advance ...

>Luke
>--

>ICQ UIN: 1146938
>http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/9263 (Marfan)

>"Out the 10Base-T, through the router, down the T1, over the
>leased-line,
>off the bridge, past the firewall...nothing but Net."

Lew Pitcher
System Consultant, Integration Solutions Architecture
Toronto Dominion Bank

issue & issue.net files

Post by Mohd H Misn » Tue, 22 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I have found that the "/etc/issue" and "/etc/issue.net" files are used
>to present the beginning of the login prompt in RedHat Linux 5.2

>I edited the files to reflect the welcome message that I wanted when I
>logged on.

>So far so good, I then rebooted to see the new prompt and got the same
>old:

>Red Hat Linux 5.2 (Apollo)
>kernel version 2.0.36
>login:

>On checking the "/etc/issue" and "/etc/issue.net" files, I find that
>they have been changed back to the original message.

>Any suggestions as where and or how and or why this is happening?
>and probably more importantly, how do I get it to do what I want?

/etc/issue and /etc/issue.net are updated on every bootup time by
/etc/rc.d/rc.local.

--

|AMDK6-2/300/Linux2.2.10 | http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/3319/   |
-Buddy System: Having someone to drown with you.