/dev/lp1 not detected

Post by John Scudde » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

After using Red Hat 5.1 for a year I upgraded to 6.1.  I had a
'sucessfull' install but afterwards found that my printer doesn't work.
None of the lp ports will detect the printer port.  In 5.1 my printer
was accessed through /dev/lp1.  Is there a way to 'force' my printer to
be seen?

John

/dev/lp1 not detected

Post by Hal Burgi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>After using Red Hat 5.1 for a year I upgraded to 6.1.  I had a
>'sucessfull' install but afterwards found that my printer doesn't work.
>None of the lp ports will detect the printer port.  In 5.1 my printer
>was accessed through /dev/lp1.  Is there a way to 'force' my printer to
>be seen?

First, LPT1 is now lp0. Make sure you have

 alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc

in /etc/conf.modules. Reboot. Run printtool. This *should* do it. Worked
for me.

--
Hal B

--
            Linux helps those who help themselves

/dev/lp1 not detected

Post by John Scudde » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hal,

Thanks that did the trick!! Why didn't this get added during installation?

> First, LPT1 is now lp0. Make sure you have

>  alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc

> in /etc/conf.modules. Reboot. Run printtool. This *should* do it. Worked
> for me.

> --
> Hal B

> --
>             Linux helps those who help themselves

/dev/lp1 not detected

Post by Hal Burgi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:

>Thanks that did the trick!! Why didn't this get added during
>installation?

I *think* this got fixed with the new boot images.

--
Hal B

--
            Linux helps those who help themselves

1. Printtool not seeing my printer on /dev/lp0, /dev/lp1 or /dev/lp2

           Hi, I've just started using Linux having used Unix in the past.
I've got a problem and I'm hoping that someone may be able to suggest a
solution.

     Having successfully installed Linux( Red Hat V6.0 Kernel 2.2.5-15 on a
Dell Dimension PIII 500Mhz ) and selected a printer driver I set up my
spoolers and ensured lpd was running. However while logged in as root trying
to redirect the output of a 'cat' command directly to the printer yielded no
output from the printer. Having checked with some FAQs and support sites I
note that the Epson Color 440 ( the printer I'm trying to use ) should be
completely compatible with Linux. I noticed an article which spoke about the
'stcolor' driver but this seemed more to do with the quality of the output
rather than the fact that there was no output at all. I tried running
printtool and it said that it could find no devices attached to /dev/lp0,
/dev/lp1 or /dev/lp2. According to Windows '98 the printer is installed on
the "ECP Printer Port" LPT1. My modem is installed on COM2( INT 9, Addr. 0 )
while COM1( INT 4, Addr. 3F8, UART NS 16550AN) does not have anything
attached. The printer works fine with Windows '98.

Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

James.

2. Problem with HostCache

3. dev/lp0 (or lp1 or lp2) not detected for printer

4. Diamon Stealth 64DRAM card with Linux

5. /dev/lp0 nor /dev/lp1 getting detected

6. give a normal Linux user the right to install only

7. /dev/lp1/ does not exist - Lp.c not called

8. Command Question

9. Can't detect /dev/lp1 with 2.2.7

10. lp0, lp1, lp2, .... not detected.

11. Printing Problem: Not even 'ls > /dev/lp1' works!!!

12. /dev/lp0: not detected ?

13. Red Hat 5.1 and /dev/lp0: Not detected