Redhat 5.0 Packages to install

Post by Uncle A » Sun, 25 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hello:

  I'm a more or less newbie.  I've done some linux work at school,
mostly thru a pre-configured account.  I'm ready to setup at home and am
a little over whelmed by the # of packages available in RH5 ( and under
whemled by having only 512M available for a /usr partition).  The
question is given the conditions I'm about to list, which packages do I
need and which are not useful?  I realize the immensity of the question,
but I just want an idea.  I have searched for web and print resources,
but none of them seem to address the issue directly.

I am running a p120 w/40MB ram, all hardware is compatible as per list.
I am keeping a W95 partition and a dedicated W95 drive.
I need C and C++ programming and would like to keep others ( Perl, etc
to experiment on)
I plan to run X in one form or the other.
I need dial-up PPP and possibly network to one other local PC.
All the standard internet stuff(user side) mail, telnet, etc.

Many of the packages have descriptions more than a little vague to me.
Since I won't be an ISP, or have a static IP, I know apache is
pointless, but what else? the daemons?

If anyone can recommend a source of this information, short of a crash
course in EVERY term in the Linux/interconnectivity world, that
information would be welcome.

1. Redhat 7.3 - how install new packages from the CD package?

I have Linux Redhat 7.3 and I want to install new packages.
I have inserted installation CD1 and started kpackage. The problem is that
this reads only the packages on this CD and not on the other Redhat CDs.

I have used SuSE Linux before. The configuration program YATS allows to
select packages
which are to be installed. Then it requests to insert the correct CD(s).

How can I achieve this using Redhat?

Thanks,
Torsten

2. Windows95 and Linux?

3. Redhat 6.1 install and freeze after package install

4. PCI graphic card recommendation, please

5. Redhat 5.0 install problem, Error occurred while installing bootloader

6. Samba Logon Fails

7. Installing Redhat 5.0-error installing bootloader

8. Does anybody have the following configuration?

9. While installing RedHat 5.0 : "install exited abnormally -- recieved signal 11"

10. RedHat 5.0 bug in fig2dev (xfig package)

11. RedHat 5.0 and Real Player 5.0 for Linux

12. RedHat 5.0 Install Troubles

13. 3c905B "Cyclone" and a RedHat 5.0 NFS install