sendmail config problems

Post by Eric Dittm » Sun, 12 Jan 1997 04:00:00

I'm using RedHat 3.0.3 with the sendmail-8.7.5-2 RPM installed.  I've
got a UUCP connection to the outside world, so I tried building my
sendmail.cf using:

divert(-1)
include(`../m4/cf.m4')
define(`confDEF_USER_ID',``8:12'')
OSTYPE(`linux')
FEATURE(redirect)
FEATURE(nodns)
define(`SMART_HOST', suucp:ernest)
MAILER(local)
MAILER(uucp)

The "FEATURE(nodns)" should cause sendmail not to try looking up names.
Unfortunately, everything gets queues to /var/spool/mqueue because the
name lookup fails.  I've tried just about everything else I can think of
at this point without any luck.  Can anyone help me?

Thanks
--
Eric Dittman                  Texas Instruments - Component Test Facility

Disclaimer:  Not even my opinions.  I found them by the side of the road.
Any unsolicited junk email will be treated as a request for random
binaries of not less than 20MB in size.

sendmail config problems

Post by Vitaly V Fedrushko » Wed, 15 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Good $daytime,

> Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.setup
> Subject: [NEWS] sendmail config problems
> Date: 11 Jan 1997 09:08:09 GMT
> include(`../m4/cf.m4')
> define(`confDEF_USER_ID',``8:12'')
> OSTYPE(`linux')
> FEATURE(redirect)
> FEATURE(nodns)
> define(`SMART_HOST', suucp:ernest)
> MAILER(local)
> MAILER(uucp)
> The "FEATURE(nodns)" should cause sendmail not to try looking up names.
> Unfortunately, everything gets queues to /var/spool/mqueue because the
> name lookup fails.  I've tried just about everything else I can think of
> at this point without any luck.  Can anyone help me?

`nodns' causes sendmail not to seek for MXs for a host, but at first
sendmail tries to _canonify_ host part of recipient address.  Looking
at your SMART_HOST I guess you are not connected directly to Internet.
So you neither have an able resolver nor NIS.

Do you have a file named /etc/service.switch and what it contains?
Sendmail have wacky defaults on this, trying DNS, then NIS to rewrite
recipient address -- and, failing that, considers it is a temporary
failure and "waits for things to get back".

In other words, sendmail depends on /etc/service.switch.  You should
use the following:

----------8<----------
hosts   files
aliases files
----------8<----------

  Regards,
  Willy.

--
"No easy hope or lies        | Vitaly "Willy the Pooh" Fedrushkov
 Shall bring us to our goal, | Computer Science Department,

                   R.Kipling |

1. Sendmail config problems

I can get Sendmail to work on the local machines (2 pc's
connected by ethernet), but not to sen dmessages across the net.
Network works ok for mounting files etc.
Messages always generate "Host name lookup failure" messages.
HELP HELP HELP

--

2. TCP/IP stack

3. sendmail config problems

4. How to DIsable FTP *****

5. sendmail config problem

6. Please help

7. Sendmail config problem

8. STL2 onboard Adaptec controller problems with Kernel 2.4.2

9. Red Hat 2.1 sendmail /config problem ?

10. SENDMAIL config problem - ISP won't accept mail

11. sendmail config problems

12. Sendmail config problem

13. sendmail config problems?