newbie can't install rh5, HD failure

Post by greg girt » Fri, 03 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Before a hard drive failure, I had Linux installed and
running fine, (although I had no idea how to use it..)

My new replacement drive is Seagate's new version of my old 2.5 gig IDE
drive.  Unfortunately, Linux (RH50) is not installing on said drive.

The error message I get occurs when it tries to format the partition I
have set for the root file system.
It reads soething like this:

Quote:> adding swap 129020k swap_space (priority -1)

###
<4> hda: read_intr: status=0x59 {DriveReady ...
            ... SeekComplete DataRequest Error}
<4> hda: read_intr: error=0x10 {SectorIdNotFound}...
            ... LBA sect=########

The error repeats gazillions of times, with ### being an some huge
number.

Does anyone know what this means, or how I can fix it?
Should I send the drive back for another model?

Would anyone responding also do so by e-mail as well as on the group?
Thanks in advance.

Greg Girty
girty(AT)netrover(DOT)com

1. RH5.2 HD Install Failure

For the several people who have tried hard disk installs and gotten
errors (myself included), its due to a bug.  Red Hat 5.2's hard disk
install failure:

http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/rhl/rh52-errata-general.html#BootImg

Apparently a lot of the mirrors are well out of date.  I downloaded an
Oct  archive, and looking at the numerous security flaws on that page
I guess I should try to find a more current mirror and download all
300 meg again?  Yikes.

2. X application font

3. (Newbie)LILO, HD Setup, and RH5 Install

4. rs6000 rebooting constantly

5. Newbie Question: Trying to install LinuxPPC but won't detect my HD

6. expect with no tcl

7. Newbie Install of RH6 - Can't find HD

8. NTP

9. Newbie: Install can't find DMA 66 HD controller...

10. Newbie: can't get RH install to find my HD

11. Newbie: RH7.0 can't find HD to install os

12. 3c900, 3c59x on RH5.2 - trying to install @home - can't 'Ping' DNS

13. RH5.1 install failure