Linux Reboot Problem

Post by Garrick Jame » Fri, 23 Feb 1996 04:00:00

I've recently installed Linux (Slackware 3.0 distribution) on my 486.  I have run
into a strange problem.  When performing a reboot, shutdown -r, or CTRL-ALT-DEL,
Linux goes through all the motions of shutting down (syncs the disk, unmounts file
systems, etc...) just fine.  BUT when it gets to the point of actually rebooting
the PC, it just sits there.  Nothing happens.  I must then hit the hardware reset
button to get it to turn over.

I can get the PC to reboot just fine under DOS.  Int 19 works and so does writing
1234h to 40:72 and then jmp'ing to FFFF:0.  Win95 even has no problem rebooting
the machine (surprise!!!  Win95 can do it and Linux can't!  Arg!!).

I'm pretty well versed in UN*X from a user stand point.  This is my first
experience with admin type stuff.  I also consider my self a compitent C
programmer (EXTREMELY limit assembly, though).  I decided to delve into the
problem and see how it is supposed to work.  From what I can tell this is what
happens (correct me if I am wrong, please!):

Whatever program has been asked to reboot the machine (init, halt, reboot--link to
halt, shutdown, whatever...) calls the reboot() system call (unistd.h).  Reboot()
then (if all the inputs are correct) calls hard_reset_now() (kernel function--see
process.c of the kernel source).  Hard_reset_now() is the little * that is
supposed to reboot the machine.

I spent a few of hours trying to decipher what/how hard_reset_now() does/works,
but to no avail.  I just don't have enough of an assembly background to figure it
out.

Has anyone out there ever seen this problem before?  Does anyone out there know of
a fix?  I would be extremely greatful for ANY help on this.

  ___
 /   \                |
|                     |              "Elephant: A mouse built to
|    __               |                         government specifications"
|     | arrick   |    | ames
 \___/            \__/

Linux Reboot Problem

Post by Shash Chatterje » Sat, 24 Feb 1996 04:00:00

> I've recently installed Linux (Slackware 3.0 distribution) on my 486.  I have run
> into a strange problem.  When performing a reboot, shutdown -r, or CTRL-ALT-DEL,
> Linux goes through all the motions of shutting down (syncs the disk, unmounts file
> systems, etc...) just fine.  BUT when it gets to the point of actually rebooting
> the PC, it just sits there.  Nothing happens.  I must then hit the hardware reset
> button to get it to turn over.

This may be a dumb question.....but I'll ask it any way since you don't
mention it.....

Did you install LILO (the Linux Loader)?  I have the Slackware 2.2.0 CD,
and the setup program had a menu driven sequence to install LILO.  I
think "liloconfig" also does this.

Hope this is of use,

Shash

+ Sasvata Chatterjee   | Electronic Systems Design & Integration  +
+    "SHASH-WATA"      | Lockheed Martin Tactical Aircraft Systems+
+ (817) 763-1495       | Lockheed Boulevard, MZ2118               +
+ (817) 777-2115 (FAX) | Fort Worth, TX 76108                     +

Linux Reboot Problem

Post by UofA » Sun, 25 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>> I've recently installed Linux (Slackware 3.0 distribution) on my 486.  I have run
>> into a strange problem.  When performing a reboot, shutdown -r, or CTRL-ALT-DEL,
>> Linux goes through all the motions of shutting down (syncs the disk, unmounts file
>> systems, etc...) just fine.  BUT when it gets to the point of actually rebooting
>> the PC, it just sits there.  Nothing happens.  I must then hit the hardware reset
>> button to get it to turn over.

>This may be a dumb question.....but I'll ask it any way since you don't
>mention it.....

>Did you install LILO (the Linux Loader)?  I have the Slackware 2.2.0 CD,
>and the setup program had a menu driven sequence to install LILO.  I
>think "liloconfig" also does this.

Assuming you can boot Linux normally after a hard reset or from power on.
I have seen this problem on only one kind of machine - those with
 non-INTEL CPUs.
Certainly true on several, though not all, my AMD machines.
Never tried Linux on Cyrix CPUs.

-mb.

Linux Reboot Problem

Post by JEREMY SWI » Mon, 26 Feb 1996 04:00:00

: I've recently installed Linux (Slackware 3.0 distribution) on my 486.  I have run
: into a strange problem.  When performing a reboot, shutdown -r, or CTRL-ALT-DEL,
: Linux goes through all the motions of shutting down (syncs the disk, unmounts file
: systems, etc...) just fine.  BUT when it gets to the point of actually rebooting
: the PC, it just sits there.  Nothing happens.  I must then hit the hardware reset
: button to get it to turn over.

I have this same problem.  I remember a solution to this problem being
posted, but I can't remember what it was.  If anyone knows the solution
to this problem, could you please post it here again for all of us to
see.  Thank you all in advance.

Jeremy Swift

1. Headless Linux reboot problem

I'm trying to setup a headless Linux server using RedHat 7.1.  I have
modified the kernel and lilo to run the console on the serial port and
everything works as I expect it to.
However, when I have nothing connected to the serial port and try to
reboot
the headless box using rsh, the reboot won't continue until I plug
something into the serial port.  When I plug the console into the
serial port there are a lot of messages that look like console
messages that pour onto the screen and then the reboot continues.
One thing I have found is that if I kill mgetty, syslogd and klogd the
reboot will happen without plugging anything into the serial port.
Does anyone have an idea as to what the reboot could be waiting for?
I assume it's because the console's log buffer is full, but what can I
do to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance for any help.
michael

2. NIS

3. Linux reboot problem !!

4. Obtaining a breakdown of Solaris 8 memory usage

5. Linux Reboot Problem

6. Epson Stylus Color 600 on linuxppc

7. Linux rebooting problem...

8. Here it is! Scripts that test for the RDIST hole.

9. reboot error reboot error reboot error

10. Compaq 6000 reboots and reboots and reboots

11. reboot &c should chdir("/") (Re: Problem with reboot and umount)

12. Linux SHUTDOWN/REBOOT problem, help!

13. Problems rebooting from linux to windows...