Help! Mail stuck in Queue.

Post by Martin Verme » Mon, 23 Nov 1998 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> I can't send any mail. It stays in the mail queue for days and
> days and never gets sent.  Eventually I get a system mail saying that
> mail haven't been able to be sent for 4 hours and will try again.
> I use Redhat 5.1 mainly at home over a dialup PPP connection.

I may be off on a blue one here, but... do you have sendmail running?
And how was it started? Check script /etc/rc.d/init.d/sendmail.
And what does tail /var/log/messages look like?

--

-- make config, not war.

Help! Mail stuck in Queue.

Post by Frank Ha » Mon, 30 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>> I can't send any mail. It stays in the mail queue for days and
>> days and never gets sent.  Eventually I get a system mail saying that
>> mail haven't been able to be sent for 4 hours and will try again.
>> I use Redhat 5.1 mainly at home over a dialup PPP connection.

>I may be off on a blue one here, but... do you have sendmail running?
>And how was it started? Check script /etc/rc.d/init.d/sendmail.
>And what does tail /var/log/messages look like?

On my Slackware system, I start up sendmail with the following command:

/usr/sbin/sendmail -bd -q

In my /etc/ppp/ip-up script, I purge the queue with the following command:

/usr/sbin/sendmail -q

Hope this helps.

--
Frank Hahn

1. Help! Mail stuck in Queue.

| I can't send any mail. It stays in the mail queue for days and
| days and never gets sent.  Eventually I get a system mail saying that
| mail haven't been able to be sent for 4 hours and will try again.
| I use Redhat 5.1 mainly at home over a dialup PPP connection.

With the connection up, as root, do a 'sendmail -q' and post the
/var/log/mail (or whatever Redhat uses for a mail log) messages
detailing why it didn't work.

Two things which come to mind are that you specified a smart mailer
which is wrong/down/broken/restricted, or that your ISP requires you to
use their mail machine as a smart mailer and you didn't.

Before someone asks, it allows an ISP to prevent you from using an open
mailer for SPAM, and is a responsible thing to do.

--

"Too soon we grow old, and too late we grow smart" -Arthur Godfrey

2. fetchmail Konfiguration

3. GXT255 Driver for AIX

4. sendmail: mail stuck in the queue

5. Maximum Number of sockets in one process ?

6. Message stuck in mail queue?

7. NTP Server

8. qmail installation problem, msgs stuck in queue, help!

9. How to delete mail from mail queue.

10. Mail problem -- can't get mail to queue!

11. HELP: fetchmail gets stuck getting mail over PPP

12. net mail OK, local mail permanently queued