various OS

Post by Dr. F. Hoeglmeie » Sat, 13 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hi everybody,

I have a little problem to solve:

My new computer (Pentium II 450 MHz, 256 MByte RAM, 9 GByte SCSI-HDD,
SCSI-DVD, SCSI-CD-ROM, ELSA Erazor II 16 MByte AGP, Samsung 1000p 21"
Mon.,
JAZ 2 GByte SCSI ext., Fritz-Card ISDN PCI, Modem 56k ext., Soundblaster
Live)
comes with Windows NT Workstation 4.0 (probably under NTFS-Filesystem).

I have to use a lot of occupational programs running only with other
operating
systems (OS) namely: DOS 6.22 + WfW 3.11, Win 98.

And for my pleasure I'll try to install Linux (SuSE 6.0) in addition.

WfW-programs and DOS-programs should run with VFAT 16 (all in all 500
MByte),
Win 98-programs should run with VFAT 16 or FAT 32 (all in all 1000
MByte),
Win NT-programs should run with NTFS and/or FAT 16 (all in all 4000
MByte),
Linux should run with ext2 (I think about 1000 MByte).
The remainder of the HDD should be reserved for later.

Some programs (like MS Office Prof.) will be used under two or more OS.

How should I install the 4 operating programs and how should I
partitionate
the HDD (I have PartitionMagic 4.0)?

Can I install programs to run under two or more OS first under one of
the OS
(e.g. Win 98) and than under one of the others (e.g. Win NT) with the
same
destination place on the same partition to save place?

I would be grateful for proposals easy to comprehend.

I look forward to hearing from you and thanks for thinking about my
problem!

Hoe ;-}
--
Dr. Friedrich Hoeglmeier
Dr.-Karl-Lexer-Weg B 300

various OS

Post by Andreas Schyma » Sat, 13 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> Hi everybody,

> I have a little problem to solve:

> My new computer (Pentium II 450 MHz, 256 MByte RAM, 9 GByte SCSI-HDD,
> SCSI-DVD, SCSI-CD-ROM, ELSA Erazor II 16 MByte AGP, Samsung 1000p 21"
> Mon.,
> JAZ 2 GByte SCSI ext., Fritz-Card ISDN PCI, Modem 56k ext., Soundblaster
> Live)
> comes with Windows NT Workstation 4.0 (probably under NTFS-Filesystem).

> I have to use a lot of occupational programs running only with other
> operating
> systems (OS) namely: DOS 6.22 + WfW 3.11, Win 98.

> And for my pleasure I'll try to install Linux (SuSE 6.0) in addition.

> WfW-programs and DOS-programs should run with VFAT 16 (all in all 500
> MByte),
> Win 98-programs should run with VFAT 16 or FAT 32 (all in all 1000
> MByte),
> Win NT-programs should run with NTFS and/or FAT 16 (all in all 4000
> MByte),
> Linux should run with ext2 (I think about 1000 MByte).
> The remainder of the HDD should be reserved for later.

> Some programs (like MS Office Prof.) will be used under two or more OS.

> How should I install the 4 operating programs and how should I
> partitionate
> the HDD (I have PartitionMagic 4.0)?

> Can I install programs to run under two or more OS first under one of
> the OS
> (e.g. Win 98) and than under one of the others (e.g. Win NT) with the
> same
> destination place on the same partition to save place?

Hmm, what kind of software makes you need both WfW and Windows 98? Well,
Ill trust you on that, but anyways, here goes.
I ran Windows 98, Windows NT and Linux with no major injuries :-). I
think that you will get problem with running both WfW and Windows 98
though, but I guess someone who knows more about that could solve it for
you. I suggest the following installorder:
1. WfW
2. Windows 98   (may be the other way around, not really sure.)
3. Windows NT
4. Linux (with LILO)
Then when you boot youll first get LILO asking you which os to boot,
and if you configured it correctly, its not hard and will probably be
done during install, youll have two choices. Linux or dos. Linux boots
Linux ofcourse, and if you choose dos you come to the NT boot loader
which let you choose whether you wish NT, 98 or WfW.

Its actually very straightforward, and I have not failed in doing this
installation-procedure. However, remember to make start-disks for each
os :-)

When it comes to programs I can tell you that every program that runs in
both win 98 and NT only need to be installed at one place. However you
need to install them through both of the oss but you can install on the
same place. Just remember to do the two installs exactly the same, ie if
you choose to install the templates in ms word youll need to do it in
both installations.

Well, the explanation may be a bit fuzzy, but I guess you understand. If
not, you are most welcome to mail me for more detailed instructions.

Andreas.