help alien - modem help

Post by Ian » Thu, 16 Jan 2003 21:13:30

Hallo,

I'm trying to install a Motorola modem on Debian system.  I'm completely new
to Linux and feeling somewhat overwhelmed...
Anywho, I've got drivers for it (I hope they work), but I'm having trouble
getting the crazy thing installed.  See, its a driver for RedHat - so I'm
trying to install Alien to change it to .deb format.  But whilst trying to
install Alien, it doesn't work.  It seems like its half installed.
When I check Alien (can't remember how I did that - got help from a friend
over the phone last night - have since slept between then, so info must have
rolled out of brain overnight), anyway, sorry,
When I check Alien, the first 2 letters at the beginning of the line are:
rF
Have tried apt-get remove alien, then apt-get install alien, but both times
give the same error message.  Says alien is already the newest version, but
Alien doesn't run properly.
Please help - suffering serious hair loss...

help alien - modem help

Post by Peter T. Breue » Thu, 16 Jan 2003 21:26:34

> When I check Alien, the first 2 letters at the beginning of the line are:
> rF

That's Removed, not Installed. Try installing, not removing. It will
work better.

Quote:> Have tried apt-get remove alien, then apt-get install alien, but both times

Well. sodn't be shy. Show us the error message when yo do the install.
We can0't read the message ..

Quote:> give the same error message.  Says alien is already the newest version, but

Don't interpret! Report.

Quote:> Alien doesn't run properly.
> Please help - suffering serious hair loss...

Then stop drivelling and provide data. Run "apt-get install alien"
and show us the output. Error messages are teher for a reason, you
know! Like "information".

Peter

help alien - modem help

Post by Ian » Fri, 17 Jan 2003 01:11:13

Quote:> That's Removed, not Installed. Try installing, not removing. It will
> work better.

Ran apt-get install alien before.  Here is the screen as I see it, including
the stuff I've typed in, ie the first line (I've called the computer capri,
by the way):

capri:~# apt-get install alien
Reading Package Lists...Done
Bulding Dependency Tree...Done
Sorry, alien is already the newest version
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded
1 packages not fully installed or removed
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used
Setting up alien (8.05)...
dpkg (sub process):  unable to execute post-installation script:  Exec
format error
dpkg: error processing alien (--configure):
 subprocess post installation script returned error exit status 2
Errors encountered while processing:
 alien
E:  Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code(1)
capri~#

My thinking was that it may be sort of half installed, coz when I run
apt-get remove alien, it gives a similar screen as above, but obviously
replace install with remove - but it also gives this line in amongst the
error messages:

dpkg: serious warning:  files list file for package 'rpm' missing, assuming
package has no files currently installed.

A couple of lines before this, it says:

0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded
1 packages not fully installed or removed
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 348kB will be freed

So I get the feeling there's something there, just not all of it - which is
causing errors.  But what do I know....

Quote:> > Have tried apt-get remove alien, then apt-get install alien, but both
times

> Well. sodn't be shy. Show us the error message when yo do the install.
> We can0't read the message ..

Apologies for not stating this earlier.  Its difficult for me to get all
this info across, I have to use my parents 'business' machine, which isn't
really set up the way I'd like to use the Internet - hence its a pain to get
all this info into a message.  (The computer has a tendency to crash when
I'm online - windows, you see)

Quote:> > give the same error message.  Says alien is already the newest version,
but

> Don't interpret! Report.

Again, I'm sorry.

Quote:

> > Alien doesn't run properly.
> > Please help - suffering serious hair loss...

> Then stop drivelling and provide data. Run "apt-get install alien"
> and show us the output. Error messages are teher for a reason, you
> know! Like "information".

My most humble apologies.  I hope this provides more info to go on.  I'm
going to use the computer (capri) as a server (for stability reasons).  Its
just a Cyrix 300, 32MB RAM, 40GB hdd, Motorola modem (PCI), 40X cdrom, & PCI
network card.  Everything but the modem works.  I want to use this system to
log on to the Internet, and then I can connect my machine to it, and My
housemate can connect his Mac to it as well (this will be done when we're at
Uni, you see).  Hopefully that gives a better pisture, but its probably not
necessary for the problem.

Thanks,

Ian

help alien - modem help

Post by Peter T. Breue » Fri, 17 Jan 2003 01:32:55

>> That's Removed, not Installed. Try installing, not removing. It will
>> work better.
> Ran apt-get install alien before.  Here is the screen as I see it, including
> the stuff I've typed in, ie the first line (I've called the computer capri,
> by the way):
> capri:~# apt-get install alien
> Reading Package Lists...Done
> Bulding Dependency Tree...Done
> Sorry, alien is already the newest version
> 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded
> 1 packages not fully installed or removed
> Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used
> Setting up alien (8.05)...
> dpkg (sub process):  unable to execute post-installation script:  Exec
> format error
> dpkg: error processing alien (--configure):
>  subprocess post installation script returned error exit status 2
> Errors encountered while processing:
>  alien
> E:  Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code(1)

Your installation is all hozed. It probably has apt sources from a
different distro. Admit it, you changed apt sources according to some
page you found somewhere, you did a half upgrade, and now you are
stuck.

Quote:> My thinking was that it may be sort of half installed, coz when I run
> apt-get remove alien, it gives a similar screen as above, but obviously
> replace install with remove - but it also gives this line in amongst the
> error messages:
> dpkg: serious warning:  files list file for package 'rpm' missing, assuming
> package has no files currently installed.

Absolutely. Someone has gone and messed up.

Quote:> A couple of lines before this, it says:
> 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded
> 1 packages not fully installed or removed
> Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 348kB will be freed
> So I get the feeling there's something there, just not all of it - which is
> causing errors.  But what do I know....

You know.

You did it!

You'll have to use dpkg directly to get out of this mess.

I'd simply edit the /var/lib/dpkg/status listy directly, and remove all
reference to alien. But the thing you downloaded won't install with
your present o/s, so you must have got it from a future o/s. Since
you claim to have used apt-get to do this, you must have changed the
apt sources list.

True, no?

Quote:> Apologies for not stating this earlier.  Its difficult for me to get all
> this info across, I have to use my parents 'business' machine, which isn't

Why? Copy and paste.

Quote:> My most humble apologies.  I hope this provides more info to go on.  I'm
> going to use the computer (capri) as a server (for stability reasons).  Its
> just a Cyrix 300, 32MB RAM, 40GB hdd, Motorola modem (PCI), 40X cdrom, & PCI

It's got very litle ram. What version of debian did you put on, and
how?

Quote:> network card.  Everything but the modem works.  I want to use this system to

You might begin by telling us the debian version you installed, and
showing us the /etc/apt/sources.list . I would imagine that it points
at a future distro.

Peter