!! SCSI Boot disk: O Hosts found with EATA Driver !!

!! SCSI Boot disk: O Hosts found with EATA Driver !!

Post by Domenic Cal » Thu, 25 Apr 1996 04:00:00

I have a DPT PM2021 scsi controller with 2 hard disks. I downloaded the SCSI
boot disk for Slackware 3.0 and when I try to boot, it won't recognize my
disks and gives a kernel panic error. I also tried the EATA boot disk from
ftp.uni-mainz.de and I get the same error.  I believe it finds my controller card,
because it lists it upon boot-up, but it doesn't seem to find my hard disks.
One is a Micropolis and the other a Fujitsu, both SCSI-I devices (older disks).
Can anyone suggest a solution?  Thanks in advance.

!! SCSI Boot disk: O Hosts found with EATA Driver !!

Post by mike haas » Sat, 27 Apr 1996 04:00:00

I have a similar problem and have not solved it yet.  I have

card.  When I tried to boot LINUX 3.0 with (SCSI, SCSINET1, SCSINET2)
I get the same symptoms.  More specifically, I get several messages
including "HBA at 0X4c88 did'nt react on INQUIRY. SORRY."

Now, I have tried all the suggestions I can find incuding changing the
IRQ from 15 to 14 to 11 and changing virtually every other parameter on the
card - but nothing works.

I am running an older version of LINUX 2.1... that has a boot problem but
with persistance it is overcome.  About 1 in 5 boots succeeds.  Most get
a message "NO BIOS32 PRESENT.  THIS VERSION STILL DEPENDS ON IT.  SORRY" and
hang.  When it works it still gets the message.  Version 3.0 is different only
to the extent that it gets past this last message every time but fails
as previously described.

!! SCSI Boot disk: O Hosts found with EATA Driver !!

Post by Juergen Exn » Tue, 30 Apr 1996 04:00:00

[...]
->   I am running an older version of LINUX 2.1... that has a boot problem but
->   with persistance it is overcome.  About 1 in 5 boots succeeds.  Most get
->   a message "NO BIOS32 PRESENT.  THIS VERSION STILL DEPENDS ON IT.  SORRY" and
->   hang.  When it works it still gets the message.  Version 3.0 is different only
->   to the extent that it gets past this last message every time but fails
->   as previously described.

Can't help you with your original problem, but the message
        "NO BIOS32 PRESENT...."
comes from a kernel with PCI-support but missing PCI-hardware.
No need to worry about it.

Greetings jue

:
: Now, I have tried all the suggestions I can find incuding changing the
: IRQ from 15 to 14 to 11 and changing virtually every other parameter on the
: card - but nothing works.
:
: I am running an older version of LINUX 2.1... that has a boot problem but
: with persistance it is overcome.  About 1 in 5 boots succeeds.  Most get
: a message "NO BIOS32 PRESENT.  THIS VERSION STILL DEPENDS ON IT.  SORRY" and
: hang.  When it works it still gets the message.  Version 3.0 is different only
: to the extent that it gets past this last message every time but fails
: as previously described.

Are you using a 1.2.x kernel ? There is unfortunately a bug in the driver
in these kernels that prevents the proper detection.

Please update your kernel. If you have important reasons to stick with
1.2.13 check out the updated driver at ftp.i-connect.net /pub/Local/EATA

Mike

--
Michael Neuffer                   i-Connect.Net, a Division of iConnect Corp.

503.677.2900                      Beaverton, OR 97008

!! SCSI Boot disk: O Hosts found with EATA Driver !!

Post by Michael Neuff » Tue, 30 Apr 1996 04:00:00

: I have a DPT PM2021 scsi controller with 2 hard disks. I downloaded the SCSI
: boot disk for Slackware 3.0 and when I try to boot, it won't recognize my
: disks and gives a kernel panic error. I also tried the EATA boot disk from
: ftp.uni-mainz.de and I get the same error.  I believe it finds my controller card,
: because it lists it upon boot-up, but it doesn't seem to find my hard disks.
: One is a Micropolis and the other a Fujitsu, both SCSI-I devices (older disks).
: Can anyone suggest a solution?  Thanks in advance.

If I remember correctly there are also Slackware bootdisks with
more current kernels. Look for bootdisks called ascsi or something
like that.

Mike
--
Michael Neuffer                   i-Connect.Net, a Division of iConnect Corp.

503.677.2900                      Beaverton, OR 97008

1. Possible EATA-DMA SCSI/SMP/Cyrix 6x86 boot crash on 2.1.30?

Last night, I compiled 2.1.30 on my machine and it crashed while booting.  It
seemed to happen just after my IDE driver was initialized and before my SCSI
driver was initialized.  I'm using the EATA-DMA SCSI driver with SCSI CD-ROM
and SCSI tape support modularized, but SCSI disk support compiled into the
kernel.

Since 2.1.30 is built with SMP enabled by default, I got suspicious and
recompiled the kernel *without* SMP support.  Then, it all worked fine.

I have a Cyrix 6x86 P-166+ on a Tyan Titan I motherboard.  When the kernel
first booted, it gave me OEM numbers for "Pentium 1" and "Pentium 2".  Is it
always supposed to do this even though I only have one processor?  Could the
SMP code be confused because I have a Cyrix 6x86 chip?

Why is SMP the default now?

I couldn't save the ooops traces because they fly by on my screen too fast.
And since my SCSI never got initialized, it never got written to disk.  I guess
it's hard to write to /var/adm/syslog if the SCSI drivers crash.  :)

-Ryan Moore

2. Xine 0.3.6

3. DTP SCSI Card with EATA v.3 drivers

4. Simple Paging Software

5. Slackware 3.1 Core Dumps??

6. SCSI driver questions (was EATA/CD changer ...)

7. Swap not used after kernel upgrade

8. No root disk controller, No SCSI host adapter found

9. SLS linux cannot find scsi host/disk

10. boot finds 0 SCSI hosts?

11. Cannot find driver for Procom SCSI Host Adapter

12. boot finds 0 SCSI hosts?