Secondary Controller and 3rd disk

Post by Mark Lo » Tue, 24 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>Hi,

>I am trying to get a third disk configured to run with linux and this is
>what I have so far.

>The third disk is recognized upon boot up and with the correct geometry
>displayed, but I get the following messages:

>hdc: irq probe failed (0)
>ide: secondary interface on irq15
>ide: primary interface on irq14

>later I get these timeout messages:

>hdc: timeout: status=0x50 {DriveReady, SeekComplete}
>hdc: timeout: status=0x58 {DriveReady, SeekComplete, DataRequest}

>On the one hand it complains about an irq problem but later finds the correct
>irq, but then I cannot get to this third drive to mount or fdisk it.

Err.. no, it did not "find the correct irq", but simply defaulted to irq15.

Your secondary interface is not responding with any irq..
it might require special (proprietary) initialization software
to "enable" the secondary interface irq.
--

For Linux IDE (big/many) help, see:  /usr/src/linux/drivers/block/README.ide
For latest Linux kernels: ftp.cs.helsinki.fi:/pub/Software/Linux/Kernel/v1.[23]

Post by David Russel » Fri, 27 Oct 1995 04:00:00

> >On the one hand it complains about an irq problem but later finds the correct
> >irq, but then I cannot get to this third drive to mount or fdisk it.

> Err.. no, it did not "find the correct irq", but simply defaulted to irq15.

> Your secondary interface is not responding with any irq..
> it might require special (proprietary) initialization software
> to "enable" the secondary interface irq.
> --

So, basically, you're saying that given this error, you either have to write your
own driver for the secondary port (somehow) or the I/O card vendor is going to have
to support Linux.

Am I missing something?  I have the same problem when I try to boot my system.
Since I'd like to install my Linux partition on that third hard drive, the error is
making it difficult to even get started.  (Not to mention the fact that I can't seem
to convince Linux to recognize my CD-ROM drive.)

David Russell
Institute for Simulation and Training
University of Central Florida
Orlando, FL

Post by Jim Theven » Fri, 03 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>> >On the one hand it complains about an irq problem but later finds the correct
>> >irq, but then I cannot get to this third drive to mount or fdisk it.

>> Err.. no, it did not "find the correct irq", but simply defaulted to irq15.

>> Your secondary interface is not responding with any irq..
>> it might require special (proprietary) initialization software
>> to "enable" the secondary interface irq.
>> --

>So, basically, you're saying that given this error, you either have to write your
>own driver for the secondary port (somehow) or the I/O card vendor is going to have
>to support Linux.

>Am I missing something?  I have the same problem when I try to boot my system.
>Since I'd like to install my Linux partition on that third hard drive, the error is
>making it difficult to even get started.  (Not to mention the fact that I can't seem
>to convince Linux to recognize my CD-ROM drive.)

What little I know about secondary cards is this.  Linux requires the secondary
card to have it's own IRQ line.  DOS doesn't (at least with my driver software)
You can hardcode the irq line number into the kernel when you compile your
kernel.  Oops I just checked the README.ide in the drivers/block directory
of the linux source and it says you can run the secondary on the same IRQ
as the primary with a performance penalty.  So I guess I don't know much.
Read over that file and check that your /dev's are created correctly.

Jim T.

1. Problem with Secondary Controller and 3rd Drive

Hi-
I'm having trouble using a third drive with Linux v1.2.8 (Slackware 2.3). I have
a Promise EIDE 2300+ VLB controller card with a Maxtor 1.2 gig master and a 540 meg
Maxtor as slave both on the primary controller. On the secondary controller
(same EIDE card but the controller is ISA, not VLB) I mounted a Maxtor 540 meg
drive as master. I'm having problems with this 3rd drive. When I boot Linux
it detects it correctly as having 1060 tracks, 16 heads, and 63 sectors. fdisk
was used to partition /dev/hdc1 and tag it Linux Native. mkefs(sp?) was used
to make the file system. I mounted it as /mnt without a problem and it shows up
under the df command. The problem comes in when I copy (cp) my /home directory to
/mnt. The idea was to free up space in the root partition my moving users to
/dev/hdc1. I went into /mnt/home/eck (my home directory) and did a du command and
also did a du command on the original /home/eck. the size summaries were not the
same. Checking around in /mnt/home/eck I found zero length files with permission
notation errors. Typical file might look like:

     ?---------  1 eck      users           0 Mar 22  1995 filename

where the original file would look like:

     -rw-r--r--  1 eck      users        2958 Mar 22  1995 filename

Can anyone help me get /dev/hdc working right. I've tried adding the following
boot prompt argument:  hd=serialize with not effect.

Terry

2. estimating network speed using perl/cgi or html...

3. Problem with Secondary Controller and 3rd drive

4. T3 Array with NT2000 Server

5. Secondary disk controller

6. Scheduling dip/SLIP connects with cron

7. Installation 5.0.2 (free version) Can't install to Master Disk on secondary controller

8. 5.0.4 filesystem types

9. Secondary disk controller

10. aha1542b scsi controller as secondary controller

11. Built-in IDE controller: secondary controller very slow

12. Secondary Gateway for Secondary Network Card using Secondary IP's