Can't shutdown inside xdm

Post by Clifford Helse » Tue, 16 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I've gone through three versions of RedHat this weekend, 4.2, 5.0 and
5.1.  4.2 allowed me to shutdown -r inside an xterm, however the others
5.0 and 5.1, don't let me shutdown the system.  The shutdown command
locks up the xterm although I can restart fvwm and relogin.  Any ideas?
I thought it might have something to do with the print spool (since
printing isn't working yet) so I disabled the queue.  I still have two
jobs listed however when I type lpq (they are just not running).

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Clifford Helsel

http://www.wallstreetwise.com/jspell.html

Can't shutdown inside xdm

Post by Jerem » Thu, 18 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> I've gone through three versions of RedHat this weekend, 4.2, 5.0 and
> 5.1.  4.2 allowed me to shutdown -r inside an xterm, however the others
> 5.0 and 5.1, don't let me shutdown the system.  The shutdown command
> locks up the xterm although I can restart fvwm and relogin.  Any ideas?
> I thought it might have something to do with the print spool (since
> printing isn't working yet) so I disabled the queue.  I still have two
> jobs listed however when I type lpq (they are just not running).

> Your help would be greatly appreciated.

> Clifford Helsel

> http://www.wallstreetwise.com/jspell.html

 How are you starting xdm?  If you are starting from rc.local or similar,
you won't be able to shutdown, you can shutdown -r -n, but that bypasses
all shutdown procedures.  Start xdm from your /etc/inittab file.  Change
the initdefault line to 5.  Remove starting from rc.local (or what ever)
shutdown -r should now work.
Jeremy

1. can't shutdown with 'shutdown'

Any body experienced this?

If you issue init 0  / init 5 / init 6 /shutdown -i0 -g0 -y ... the
system just pretends not hearing it.
Actually, it heard it -  because the process 1(init) caught the signals,
but after setcontext, it just go pause...

Any suggestions?

TIA

Liu Xu

2. Newbie problem with installing sw / hw

3. Shutdown doesn't work from X/XDM

4. Help with EIDE

5. xdm problems - can't shutdown

6. Path Name to kdev_t

7. It's not bad canned meat...

8. Graphics / network card problem

9. Can't shutdown - get message Shutdown is already running

10. Shutdown doesn't shutdown anymore

11. /usr busy on shutdown; can't shutdown