TORISAN AT-API CD-ROM Changer and LINUX

Post by Rainer Hantsc » Wed, 21 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hello!

As absolute novice to Linux I have many difficulties with it. Therefore,
please, help me, because I want to het my CD-ROM changers running.

I am using the SuSE 5.1 distribution of Linux (Nov. '97).

Because I want to use Linux as my future fileserver, I an starting to
play around with it and my two existing Torisan AT-API CD-ROM changers,
but it doesn't work.

While the changers work fine with DOS/Win3.x/Win-95/OS2, my Linux setup
program doesn't detect the drives. I contacted SuSE, but it seems that
they also do not have an answer.

I will be happy to receive some hints in HOW to setup Linux to get it
working. Maybe, I need some special drivers, too.

What I want to realize is: 6 CDs placed into two CD-Changers. All CDs
must be available simulateously, without any manually interaction on the
Linux system. Linux must run as fileserver.

Thanks in advance,

Rainer Hantsch

:
: While the changers work fine with DOS/Win3.x/Win-95/OS2, my Linux setup
: program doesn't detect the drives.

Linux should be able to see ATAPI CDROMs without any problem, but it will
only see the first slot of a changer.

: What I want to realize is: 6 CDs placed into two CD-Changers. All CDs
: must be available simulateously, without any manually interaction on the
: Linux system. Linux must run as fileserver.

Sorry, not currently possible with Linux.  You can use the eject command
to manualy change slots (i.e. umount /cdrom, eject -c 3, mount /cdrom),
but the automatic system which you descibe only works for SCSI changers.

:

:
: Thanks in advance,
:
: Rainer Hantsch
:
:
--
Richard Simpson
Farnborough, Hants, Uk                 Fax: 01252 392118

1. TORiSAN 24x CD-ROM + Linux

For all those frustrated people out there having problems with their
TORiSAN 24x cd-rom drive and Linux, you can modify the Linux kernel as
follows after installing Linux by some other means. (This applies to
the CTX-700E and other laptops with the same cd-rom drive):

In the file ide.c in the kernel source, add the following code to
the end of the function ide_wait_stat():

...return 0; /* This is the original code. */

/* The following is the new code. */
#ifdef CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD
  if (drive->media == ide_cdrom)
    return 0;
  else
endif  /* CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD */
    ide_error(drive, "status error", stat);
  return 1;

Recompile the kernel with IDE ATAPI cd-rom support enabled and you
should be able to access your cd-rom drive.

Good luck,

Rich.

--

2. RS/6000 eServer & AIX 5.1 Queue down problem !!!

3. Torisan CDR-C36 cd changer

4. IP-Adress of FTP-Server

5. TORiSAN (Sanyo) CD-ROM drive...

6. Watchdog: Anyone know anything about this?

7. Installing on Gateway w/ Torisan Sanyo CD-ROM

8. segmentation fault while linking C++ test-application

9. TORiSAN CD-ROM

10. Gateway 3 tray CD Changer: Sanyo/Torisan

11. Torisan CD-ROM Drive.

12. does PIONEER DRM-604X (6 disc cd-rom changer) work with linux?

13. Linux and CD-ROM Changer (TEAC CD68E)