Debian - dsl / routing / aliasing / masquerading / firewalling

Debian - dsl / routing / aliasing / masquerading / firewalling

Post by nag » Sun, 14 Jan 2001 18:40:15

hi,
I am trying to configure a linux box for masquerading/firewalling.
the configuration is not the classical one and I would need some advises.
now I could just buy a 2nd nic card, but I am curious and I would like to
make it work that way.

- adsl modem is connected to the hub via uplink
- the linux box (myoldbox) is connected to the hub via eth0
(debian stable 2.2.18pre21 running pppoe 2.6)
    + the connection to my isp goes through the ppp interface ppp0
    + eth0 is the only ethernet interface (1 nic)
- other machines are connected to the hub (1 nic per machine)

q1?  is this configuration as safe, efficient, reliable as having the
gateway 'physically' routing to the private network (with 2 nics) ?

and that is my current problem
q2?  in this configuration, how do I configure the routes, translation and
ipchains ?
            the private network mask is 192.168.0.0
            loopback interface is up
            eth0 on myoldbox is up with address 192.168.0.1
            eth0:0 on myoldbox is up with address 192.168.0.2
                ( I guess this alias interface is needed in that case for
routing purpose, not sure ? )

thanks for your help, any pointer appreciated,
nag