Help: Problem with Slackware 3.0 boot.

Post by ? » Mon, 03 Mar 1997 04:00:00

I recently got the Slackware v3.0 CD and cannot get the boot floppy to
work. I get no error messages at all, the system just freezes.  I let it
go for a while and nothing happens, no floppy activity whatsoever.

I have a Comtrade 486/66 20 megs RAM, not sure the exact video card, but
it has a supported Cirrus Logic chip, and IDE controller.

I followed the suggestion in the installation guide and removed all
non-essential hardware. All I had was a  video card, controller and
keyboard. I also removed some RAM so that I had a single 16 meg chip
inside. I came up with the same results. I am using brand new floppys
and have tried several differnt disks as the how too suggests.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?  I have searched usenet and
all the documentation and have not found anything that addresses my
problem.

                             Thanx

Post by Temp pc printer Engine » Tue, 04 Mar 1997 04:00:00

[...]

I have a Comtrade 486/33 w/ 8meg Ram and I have the same problem.
Sorry, I have no answer to help you, but I posted this question
a week ago and I have yet to get any suggestions.

I would really appreciate any suggestions also.  Thanks,
--
Gary Prince
Marietta,Ga

   Government is not the solution to our problems,
   Government is the problem.  Ronald Reagan.
My opinions are mine and not affiliated in any way with
Hewlett-Packard.

1. My slackware 3.0 refuses to boot up...plesae help!

I have recently installed Linux Slackware 3.0 onto my computer...it is a
pentium 133MHZ with a western digital 1.6GB hd.  I put it onto a 500 MB
partition.

It worked fine for me for about two weeks then I started occasionally having
errors within the OS itself when I was running it.  Usually I would just
reboot the system and then everything would be okay.   However, after a few
times of doing this I was no longer able to get into LINUX at all...it
booted up as it did before with the following error message:

hda: read_intr : error = 0x01 { AddrMarkNotFound }, LBAsect = 1876112, sector =
851984
hda: read_intr : status = 0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
hda: read_intr : error = 0x01 { AddrMarkNotFound }, LBAsect = 1876112, sector =
851984
hda: read_intr : status = 0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
hda: read_intr : error = 0x01 { AddrMarkNotFound }, LBAsect = 1876112, sector =
851984
hda: read_intr : status = 0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
hda: read_intr : error = 0x01 { AddrMarkNotFound }, LBAsect = 1876112, sector =
851984
hda: read_intr : status = 0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
hda: read_intr : error = 0x01 { AddrMarkNotFound }, LBAsect = 1876112, sector =
851984
ide0: do_ide_reset : success
hda: read_intr : status = 0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
hda: read_intr : error = 0x01 { AddrMarkNotFound }, LBAsect = 1876112, sector =
851984
hda: read_intr : status = 0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
hda: read_intr : error = 0x01 { AddrMarkNotFound }, LBAsect = 1876112, sector =
851984
hda: read_intr : status = 0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
hda: read_intr : error = 0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect = 1876112, sector
 = 851984
ide0: do_ide_reset : success
hda: read_intr : status = 0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error}
hda: read_intr : error = 0x01 { AddrMarkNotFound }, LBAsect = 1876112, sector =
851984
end_request: I/O error, dev 0302, sector 851984
Kernel panic: EXT2-fs panic (device 3/2): ext2_read_node : unable to read
i-node
block - inode = 105682, block = 425992

Well, that's the error message...I would have typed out more of it, except
it scrolled off the screen faster then I could write it down.  If anyone
needs more information and can tell me how I can save the previous messages
that are scrolled off the screen I'll be happy to do that.

I hope someone can help me, and that there is a simple error that doesn't
require reinstalling everything...please email me back or post a message here
if you have a suggestions.

Thanks a lot,

Jeff Hanks

2. Help with pppd error messages in syslog

3. Help: Slackware 3.0 won't boot on my PC

4. Javacomm and AIX

5. Boot problem from ftp.cdrom.com Slackware 3.0 download.

6. Optimizing Linux (debian)

7. Problems booting setup program for Slackware 3.0

8. Osama bin square

9. Slackware 3.0/1.3.20 kernel CD-ROM boot-up problems

10. Slackware 3.0 - BIOS32 boot problems

11. slackware 3.0 kernel compiling problem: need help...

12. slackware 3.0 kernel compiling problem: help NEEDED!!

13. Slackware 3.0 Problems - Help me!