LILO saved boot file /boot/boot.0301

Post by Henry Ya » Sun, 28 Jan 2001 14:38:55

I have a stupid question about /boot/boot.???? file. I am not sure if this is
correct or not. From the size of file /boot/boot.????, which is 512 byte, is
this the original MBR data before installing LILO.

If lilo -u|-U could not restore this file back, can I use 'debug' to load the
file into MBR to overwrite lilo created MBR? I know it is VERY dangerous
step. But, is there anyone used it in this way?

TIA,

Henry

Henry Yao

LILO saved boot file /boot/boot.0301

Post by Eric en Joland » Sun, 28 Jan 2001 19:07:52

Quote:> I have a stupid question about /boot/boot.???? file. I am not sure if this
is
> correct or not. From the size of file /boot/boot.????, which is 512 byte,
is
> this the original MBR data before installing LILO.

The extension tells you what it was
boot.0300 would be the MBR of /dev/hda
boot.0301 would be the bootrecord (first 512 bytes) of /dev/hda1
boot.0302 would be the bootrecord (first 512 bytes) of /dev/hda2

Quote:> If lilo -u|-U could not restore this file back, can I use 'debug' to load
the
> file into MBR to overwrite lilo created MBR? I know it is VERY dangerous
> step. But, is there anyone used it in this way?

Use dd for it.
But lilo should be able to restore it (lilo.conf must be correct too I
suppose)
Have you read the lilo documentation?

Eric

1. diskless boot hit error while booting kernel, cannot find boot device, dhcp problem?

Hi people, wonder if you could help me on this:

i have two redhat 7.1 machine, one trying to boot off the other
through etherboot. Everythign goes fine, the client boots, retreat the
kernel off the server through tftp, and starting the kernel. Then it
stopped with error messages:
.
.
VFS: Cannot open root device "nfs" or 00:ff
please append a correct "root=" boot option
Kernel panic:VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 00:ff

kdb >
.
.
Where do I append a "root=" option? is it a dhcp problem? in
/etc/dhcpd.conf, i did put in

 option root-path "/boothome";

along with the other options. also, when tagging the kernel image, i
also have rootdir option:
mknbi-linux zImage --output=kernel --rootdir=/boothome

nfs export is correct, i have no idea where i did wrong.

any clue?

thanks in advance.
Paul G

2. RH 6.1, TRENDnet TE100-PCBUSR

3. Boot x86 boot enhancements, boot parameters 1/9

4. Argh! Using getopt(1) with multi-word option args?

5. Dual boot Debian and XP "boot failure" using XP boot loader

6. Which mail program is better?

7. renamed rc.boot to rc.boot.old now it wont boot???

8. communicator beta6, HASN'T CRASHED!!!!

9. How to config LILO on non-boot disk (b4 using it as boot disk)

10. lilo config for dual hd-boot hd->ramdisk-boot?

11. Problem while booting linux through LILO or boot-disk

12. Lilo booting last booted OS.

13. Dual Boot RH6.0 w/ NT4.0 LILO vs. boot.ini vs. ???