TCP/IP Setup Problem

Post by Don Erskin » Wed, 15 Feb 1995 08:41:32

Hello all.  I'm having a problem after setting up TCP/IP on my Linux
box.  I have read the FAQ's and have a copy of the Network Administration
guide.  I've followed the procedure to the letter (or so I believe) but
have run into a bit of a snag.

I have the Linux box connected to a Windows for Workgroups machine
running the latest version of Microsoft TCP/IP.  I have set up both IP
addresses in my /etc/hosts file (192.168.244.50 - Linux / 192.168.244.60
- Windows box) and placed an IP of 192.168.244.0 as my network in the
/etc/networks file.  A ping from either system works as expected.

Here's the problem:  When I enter - telnet localhost I get an an error
stating "Connection refused".  Now, obviously I've missed something or
something's not running that should be.

Can anyone give me some direction.

Thanks in advance.

TCP/IP Setup Problem

Post by Don Erskin » Fri, 17 Feb 1995 04:36:16

Thank you for your response to my question.  Yes, I have the localhost
and loopback entries in my /etc/hosts and /etc/networks respectively.  As
stated I can ping from either station, however, when I "telnet localhost"
from my Linux box it's a no go ("Connection refused").  Obviously I have
missed something (perhaps a service is not started, etc) and any further
assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Don

> > Hello all.  I'm having a problem after setting up TCP/IP on my Linux
> > box.  I have read the FAQ's and have a copy of the Network Administration
> > guide.  I've followed the procedure to the letter (or so I believe) but
> > have run into a bit of a snag.

> > I have the Linux box connected to a Windows for Workgroups machine
> > running the latest version of Microsoft TCP/IP.  I have set up both IP
> > addresses in my /etc/hosts file (192.168.244.50 - Linux / 192.168.244.60
> > - Windows box) and placed an IP of 192.168.244.0 as my network in the
> > /etc/networks file.  A ping from either system works as expected.

> > Here's the problem:  When I enter - telnet localhost I get an an error
> > stating "Connection refused".  Now, obviously I've missed something or
> > something's not running that should be.

> > Can anyone give me some direction.

> > Thanks in advance.

> Do you have an entry for the local host in both the /etc/hosts and
> /etc/networks files?

> You should have

> 127.0.0.1     localhost

> in /etc/hosts

> and

> loopback     127.0.0.0

> in /etc/networks

> Peter Walsh        "Too much information, running through my brain"

1. HELP! SunOS 5.4 TCP/IP Setup problems!

I have a Sun Netra i server that was hooked up to the internet via a
direct T1 line via an internal Newbridge T1 adapter card. It was also
connected to a network via the ethernet port and communicated to a
computer running win95. Everything was working fine. The win95 computer
accessed the internet via the ethernet network with TCP/IP and I was
also able to access the sun server file system as a Microsoft Network
file system using SAMBA installed on the sun. NO Problem, everything was
great! The netra was also a name server and web server.

NOW:   .....

I took the Netra and the win95 computer home (no more T1 direct internet
connection). I set up the win95 cpu for dialup PPP access and can access
internet no problem. I set up the ethernet card and hub AND a second
win95 computer networked together running win95, and they communicate
using Microsoft's network file system just fine.

(Take for a breather...)

I now set up the Netra, for main use as a file server for the other
win95 computers. The Netra has no internet connection as of now. I want
to be able to telnet into the Netra, and access the Netra's SAMBA based
file system with the win95 computers. I cannot get this to work.

It appears as though win95 is ignoring the TCP protocol from the Netra
and using the PPP TCP stack only. I cannot communicate in any way to the
Netra. I even have the Network card IP address set to what is was
before, and the Dialup Adapter's IP address set to "auto-assign". I can
ping my own maching properly, but I cannot ping the Netra, or the Netra
ping me. I tried changing the IP address of the Netra to be in the same
group as my dialup PPP and that didn't help, I tried accessing the Netra
with the dialup PPP connected and not-connected. No difference. However,
there is a TCP stack functioning without the dialup connected. HELP!

What I would REALLY like to do is have my Netra server connect to my
dial-in PPP account and allow my other computers on my local network to
access TCP/IP (internet) via the server. Can this be done! HELP! I need
to access the files from the sun YESTERDAY!

This is a good challange for you unix guys! Please cc: me directly:

thanks! -dgy

2. RH5.2 + win95

3. Help: TCP/IP Setup problems.

4. hardware and slackwae

5. Help on installation problem of Ethernet card/TCP IP set-up!

6. Intel EtherExpress not included in make config!!

7. TCP/IP connection setup using ECN: interaction with firewall problems

8. hdparm question...

9. problem in UUCP setup on TCP/IP ethernet

10. Problems with Mandrake 8 / Win98 tcp/ip setup

11. Problem with TCP/IP Setup

12. TCP/IP networking setup problem

13. !!DDE->TCP/IP, REAL TIME DATA PUMP, Trans.DDE App.DATA via TCP/IP