1. What average result for '' hdparm -t "" with ATA66 HD ??
It seems my new harddrive do not operate at its best speed. Here is my hardware
- Celeron 500
- 192Mo ram
- MB Chaintech 6ATA2 (via chipset 686A UDMA66)
- I just intalled Mandrake 8
- on a brand new Seagate Barracuda ATAIII (UDMA100,
but downgraded to UDMA66 with seagate utility), 40Gb, master on the first IDE
channel, with ATA66/100 cable
- Seagate Medalist, 4Go (UDMA33), slave on primary channel
- Quantum Fireball, 3.2Go (UDMA33), master on 2nd channel
- HP CdWriter (UDMA33), slave on 2nd channel
hdparm t /dev/hda give me 11,90Mb/s, but I read that someone whith an IBM 60GXP
got a below average result with 18Mb/s for ATA66 mode !!
I am also disappointed because it runs nearly to the same speed than the two
other old drives, 9Mb/s. After some searches, I found a command I don't remember
exactly (something like " gresp | .... dma ") that display the IDE controler and
hardrive modes. I see in the output that the controler is ata66, but each
harddrive line (hda, b and c) end with " (UDMA33) ".
After other searches, I found that I have to add ? append=" ide0=ata66" ? (or
ata100) to lilo.conf if linux does not use UDMA66. Also there is a line " lba32
" in my lilo.conf, which seems good, and ? append=" hdd=ide-scsi quiet" ? for
the CD-writer. So the append line become ? append=" ide0=ata66 hdd=ide-scsi
quiet ?. I save lilo.conf, type " /sbin/lilo " and I reboot my PC. This time I
see (UDMA66), that is good, but the speed test give the same result.
I found other internet ressources about hdparm, to activate Multisector I/O to
speed hardrives. ? hdparm i /dev/hda ? give me MaxMultiSec=16 but MultiSec=off
(not activated). So I type ? hdparm m16 /dev/hda ? and ? hdparm d1 /dev/hda ?
(lba 32 bits) and I see with ? hdparm i /dev/hda ? that MultiSect became 16.
Unfortunately, this do not changed the speed test anymore.
As a new linux user, I don't know what to do next. All BIOS settings are auto
for hardrive or enabled for udma options. I can see on the boot screen that the
new drive is UDMA66.
Any ideas ?,
User of http://www.foorum.com/. The best tools for usenet searching.
2. e2fs question.
3. Adding PSVP hd=cyl,hd,sec param to lilo
4. Error makeing libc-4.4.1 shared libraries
5. hd params, >1024 cyl, boot disk problem
6. Driver for 3ComIII(VESA) network card?
7. hd params, >1024 cyl, boot problems
8. KNode & headers
9. Calculating yesterday's date using GNU 'date' (was Re: Require a script)
10. lilo config for dual hd-boot hd->ramdisk-boot?
11. Can't boot Linux w/o manually passing params to LILO
12. HD Boot doesn't want to run LILO (I see 'LI')
13. x86 Boot enhancements, boot params 1/11