Large EIDE drives and Linux

Post by Graham Swallo » Thu, 14 Mar 1996 04:00:00

> I've been trying to install Linux on my system and haven't had any
> luck.  The problem is I can't seem to partion my drives for
> Linux correctly.  I've looked through all the documentation for Linux,
> but haven't been able to find anything that helps me.

From the BOOT+ROOT disks run fdisk, what does it say?
It should list the partitions, and get the sizes correct.
If it doesn't --- what does it say?

I don't have WIN95 but if it uses LBA it _probably_ avoids
those strange tricks of doubling and halving different numbers (heads,tracks).
Are you using some sort of disk manager software as well?

You can avoid this by creating a 10Mb partition below 1024 on
one of the first 2 disks. Then Linux will use the rest of the disks.

If you get past fdisk, you should have no real problem.
cfdisk is a better visual program, but I prefer fdisk as I
can SEE what is going on. Look in my home pages for
a few more clues.

Graham

Quote:> I understand that there use to be a mini-HOWTO addressing large disks.
> Well I can't find it.  The most hope I found was to look in
> /usr/src/linux/block/README.  But how can I, if I don't have Linux
> installed and I have no idea what compressed file its in on my
> distribution disk.

Your DOS browser might be able to read the HTML files on the sunsite mirror
CDROM. The InfoMagic CD's also have a WIN help-file-browser.

From the BOOT+ROOT disks you should be able to mount the /cdrom, and
navigate around, but with few utilities to make it easier.

Graham

        -----------------------------------
        http://www.users.dircon.co.uk/~trix <-- Linux Info Pages
        http://trix.dircon.co.uk/ (dial-up)
        -----------------------------------

Large EIDE drives and Linux

Post by Mike Stolnic » Thu, 14 Mar 1996 04:00:00

I've been trying to install Linux on my system and haven't had any
luck.  The problem is I can't seem to partion my drives for
Linux correctly.  I've looked through all the documentation for Linux,
but haven't been able to find anything that helps me.

I have two 1.2 gig EIDE drives with EIDE controllers.  I'm using the
logical block assignement (LBA) method of partioning my drives under
Windows95.  My first drive has a primary and an extended partition.
The extended partion has two logical partions, giving me drives C, D,
and E on my first drive.  My second drive has one extended DOS partion
broken up into three logical partions F, G, and H.

I want to install Linux on my second drive.  The DOS extended
partition on this drive is 450 mb.  I have 750mb left over for Linus.
I  have read that the root has to be in the first 1240 cylinders.
This isn't the problem.  The problem is, how do I use fdisk or cfdisk
to partition this drive?

I understand that there use to be a mini-HOWTO addressing large disks.
Well I can't find it.  The most hope I found was to look in
/usr/src/linux/block/README.  But how can I, if I don't have Linux
installed and I have no idea what compressed file its in on my
distribution disk.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mike Stolnicki

1. Has anyone used large EIDE drives with Linux?

I'm seriously thinking of using a few cheap 6G EIDE drives for a
small database, rather than going with SCSI. The hit rate will be
quite low, but the data are large, which seems to negate any
arguments about SCSI providing overlapped seeks or faster transfer
rates. Neither of these are issues here, I need to find a few K of
data a few hundred times an hour.

If anyone has done this I'd like to be reassured. The money is not a
big issue, but I see no need to spend $2k for a 9G SCSI when I can
get 6.4G for $450 just because I have the funding.
--

"As a software development model, Anarchy does not scale well."
                -Dave Welch

2. Help needed on listing all processes

3. Large EIDE drive installations

4. DAT Tape Problems

5. Old BIOS, Large EIDE Drive and setmax program

6. Disabling samba

7. Large EIDE Hard Drive

8. scsitool ?

9. Large EIDE drive

10. Intel SE440BX-2 motherboard and large (>30gb) eide drives

11. Installing 2 Large EIDE Drives

12. Q: 2.2.8 and limits on large EIDE drives