Can linux boot from 2nd EIDE harddisk ?

Post by Me » Mon, 17 Jun 1996 04:00:00

As subject, can linux boot from 2nd EIDE harddisk ? I think the 1024
cylinders barrier is not a issue here since the Eide, but boot from 2nd
EIDE (slave) -- either thru NT loader or lilo, can it be done ?
At least NT won't boot from 2nd drive.

Any help appreciated !

Post by Xiaoning Wa » Tue, 18 Jun 1996 04:00:00

AS Subject, can linux boot from 2nd EIDE harddisk ? I think the 1024
cylinders barrier is not a issue here since the Eide, but boot from 2nd
EIDE (slave) -- either thru NT loader or lilo, can it be done ?
At least NT won't boot from 2nd drive.

Any help appreciated !

Can linux boot from 2nd EIDE harddisk ?

Post by Scott Kriefa » Wed, 19 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>AS Subject, can linux boot from 2nd EIDE harddisk ? I think the 1024
>cylinders barrier is not a issue here since the Eide, but boot from 2nd
>EIDE (slave) -- either thru NT loader or lilo, can it be done ?
>At least NT won't boot from 2nd drive.

Yes, Linux can be loaded from your 2nd hard disk.  You need to have some
type of boot selector installed on the first disk that will allow you to
choose which O/S to boot.  This could be LILO, OS/2 Boot Manager, or
System Commander.  I've even loaded Linux from a *third* IDE drive in the
past.

And I'd be very surprised if NT couldn't load from a 2nd drive in the same
manner.  I've seen references to people having done exactly that.

Scott

Post by Timothy C Hagm » Wed, 19 Jun 1996 04:00:00

: AS Subject, can linux boot from 2nd EIDE harddisk ? I think the 1024
: cylinders barrier is not a issue here since the Eide, but boot from 2nd

EIDE does not in and of itself save you from the infamous BIOS 1024
cylinders restriction; LBA does, by converting some of those "extra"
cylinders into "extra" heads/sides.  However, most new BIOSes support
LBA, and most newer drives (EIDE) support LBA at some level, so this all
can be quite academic...

If you're using LBA on your hard disk, remember to check out the "linear"
option in your lilo configuration.

        Me, clear as mud today.
--
Disclaimer:  Anything I said, writ, or thought in my life should not
necessarily be held or thought to imply any view, opinion, or idea

Post by Xiaoning Wa » Wed, 19 Jun 1996 04:00:00

: And I'd be very surprised if NT couldn't load from a 2nd drive in the same
: manner.  I've seen references to people having done exactly that.

I don't think NT will boot from 2nd Eide.
Check http://198.105.232.7/support/products/backoffice/winnt/content/
nttroubleshoot/setup/P1R4.htm           at Microsoft.

Post by bill davids » Wed, 19 Jun 1996 04:00:00

| As subject, can linux boot from 2nd EIDE harddisk ? I think the 1024
| cylinders barrier is not a issue here since the Eide, but boot from 2nd
| EIDE (slave) -- either thru NT loader or lilo, can it be done ?
| At least NT won't boot from 2nd drive.
|
| Any help appreciated !

You can have a Linux partition on disk 2, but the LILO must be on
the boot sector of the 1st drive, due to the way the BIOS works. I
run an old Slackware on mt 1st drive, and have SW3.0 and RedHat303
on the 2nd, both bootable.
--

Davidsen's first rule of system administration:
  He learns to swim soonest who is thrown in the deepest water.

Post by Doug DeJul » Wed, 19 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>You can have a Linux partition on disk 2, but the LILO must be on
>the boot sector of the 1st drive, due to the way the BIOS works.

Sort-of.  You can also put it on a floppy, if you want to leave disk 1
entirely alone.
--
Doug DeJulio                 | http://www.aisb.org/~ddj/

  University of Pittsburgh   | MIME welcome; PGP key available via homepage

Can linux boot from 2nd EIDE harddisk ?

Post by Scott Kriefa » Thu, 20 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>: And I'd be very surprised if NT couldn't load from a 2nd drive in the same
>: manner.  I've seen references to people having done exactly that.

>I don't think NT will boot from 2nd Eide.
>Check http://198.105.232.7/support/products/backoffice/winnt/content/
>nttroubleshoot/setup/P1R4.htm           at Microsoft.

Must be OS/2 that I was thinking of, then.

Scott

Can linux boot from 2nd EIDE harddisk ?

Post by Emmanuel Dura » Fri, 21 Jun 1996 04:00:00

You can easily boot on a second hard disk with LILO, you just have to
specify in /etc/lilo.conf on which hard disk you want to boot...

Post by Sid Lipk » Sat, 22 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>: And I'd be very surprised if NT couldn't load from a 2nd drive in the same
>: manner.  I've seen references to people having done exactly that.

>I don't think NT will boot from 2nd Eide.
>Check http://198.105.232.7/support/products/backoffice/winnt/content/
>nttroubleshoot/setup/P1R4.htm           at Microsoft.

im booting NT.4.0 off a second eide drive with os/2 boot manager(in the mbr)
its win95 that cant do it......

sid

Can linux boot from 2nd EIDE harddisk ?

Post by John Griswol » Sat, 22 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> You can easily boot on a second hard disk with LILO, you just have to
> specify in /etc/lilo.conf on which hard disk you want to boot...

A further question:  I want to boot Win'95 as primary (the default choice
for my wife...) and Linux as secondary.  I attempted to do this by
selecting a clean Lilo config, and setting the /dev/hda as "DOS", and
/dev/hdc1 as "LINUX". I got L101010101....... on the display.  Should I
rearrange my drives so that the second HD is at /dev/hdb ?

TIA.

/* John Griswold */

/* www.ultranet.com/~griswold */

1. linux on 2nd EIDE HDD as primary on 2nd EIDE controller

Hi to All!
  I have a NEC PowerMatev75 w/32MB RAM, and 2 EIDE drives.  They used to be
on the same chain, but when I installed them in this machine I gave each
its own drive controller.  Linux fdisk doesn't see the second hdd, or I
don't know how to tell it the right address.  /dev/hda doesn't work, and
neither does /dev/hdb.  What am I missing?

Thanks in advance!

Doug Hayden

2. Linux as an Internet Access Provider

3. Boot manager to boot from 2nd harddisk?

4. OPL3-SAx problems

5. How to Install Linux on 2nd EIDE given Existing Primary EIDE w/Win95?

6. Size of /boot partition using Disk Druid in RH 6.0?

7. Booting 2nd harddisk with LILO

8. Limiting client process

9. DTC 2130D 2nd EIDE Port only works after booting with DOS

10. Dual Boot using 2nd eide drive - How?

11. IDE CDROM booting as master on 2nd EIDE channel

12. Have someone installed Linux on Quantum Fireball TM 3.2GB EIDE harddisk?

13. Craching Linux 1.2.13 with two EIDE harddisks