hi, how to add free space(not partioned) to root partition?

Post by Colin Wats » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>my root partiton is full, and I got some free space (not partitioned) in the
>same harddisk. so how to add these space to root partion?

Back up your root partition, repartition, recreate the root
filesystem, and restore from backup. Even if you could extend the
partition using something like Partition Magic, I don't know of any
currently existing tool that allows you to resize an ext2 filesystem.

Quote:>and if I add one more harddsik  how to extend the root partition to
>this disk?

This is even less doable. Partitions can't span disks. You could
possibly use RAID to do this, but I'm not sure if it would work for a
root partition, and in any case I think you might be trying to solve
the wrong problem.

I think what you want is to have several partitions. For instance,
it's quite reasonable to have separate partitions for /, /home, /usr,
and /var.

--
Colin Watson                                      [cjw44 at cam.ac.uk]
Trinity College, Cambridge, and Computer Science       [riva.ucam.org]